2000-12-14 03:41:39

by ivan vadovic

Subject: IP ID == 0 ?!

Hi,

I've been having weird problems with 2.4 kernels ip networking. I can't connect
to several sites ( hotmail.com,intel.com... ). After some investigation with
tcpdump I figured that the IDentification field of every outgoing ip packet is
set to zero and then it doesn't get through some few firewalls. I'm surprised
I haven't found anything about it in the list archives, so I'm trying to get
help here. Did I forget to configure something?

Ivan Vadovic

2000-12-14 03:58:25

by David Miller

Subject: Re: IP ID == 0 ?!

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 04:11:09 +0100
From: Ivan Vadovic <[email protected]>

I've been having weird problems with 2.4 kernels ip networking. I
can't connect to several sites ( hotmail.com,intel.com... ). After
some investigation with tcpdump I figured that the IDentification
field of every outgoing ip packet is set to zero and then it
doesn't get through some few firewalls. I'm surprised I haven't
found anything about it in the list archives, so I'm trying to get
help here. Did I forget to configure something?

No, the sites have firewalls erroneously blocking ECN, try:

echo "0" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

Later,
David S. Miller

by adrian

Hello,

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Ivan Vadovic wrote:

> Hi,
[snip]
> help here. Did I forget to configure something?

Did you configure IP: TCP Explicit Congestion Notification support? If
so, this breaks some older firewalls, which probably won't be updated any
time soon.

Regards,
Adrian