2000-11-15 00:22:49

by Zhiruo Cao

Subject: Question on bdflush

Hello,

Why does bdflush (kupdated and kflushed) writes to disk periodically even
though the system is apparently idle. I think if no more new buffers
becomes dirty, kflushed show not write anything to disk. I'm working
on a notebook, and I found the periodic disk access is very annoying and
consuming a lot of power.

Thanks!

Joe

2000-11-15 09:22:53

by Peter Samuelson

Subject: Re: Question on bdflush

[Zhiruo Cao]
> Why does bdflush (kupdated and kflushed) writes to disk periodically
> even though the system is apparently idle. I think if no more new
> buffers becomes dirty, kflushed show not write anything to disk.

kill -STOP {your cron process}
mount all ext2 filesystems with '-o noatime' or at least '-o nodiratime'

Lots of other small things can be done to reduce disk access. I think
you can even 'kill -STOP {kflushd}' (but don't forget to reenable it at
some point).

Peter

2000-11-15 10:10:07

by Pierre Etchemaite

Le 14-Nov-2000, Zhiruo Cao ?crivait :
> Why does bdflush (kupdated and kflushed) writes to disk periodically even
> though the system is apparently idle. I think if no more new buffers
> becomes dirty, kflushed show not write anything to disk. I'm working
> on a notebook, and I found the periodic disk access is very annoying and
> consuming a lot of power.

Look for noflushd on Freshmeat...

--
Linux blade.workgroup 2.4.0-test11 #1 Tue Nov 14 16:44:49 CET 2000 i686 unknown
10:38am up 17:34, 2 users, load average: 1.13, 1.17, 1.17