2000-12-04 04:30:29

by K Ratheesh

Subject: Linux for local languages - patch

Hi,

I am Ratheesh , student of Indian Institute of Technology Madras.

I am working on enabling Linux console for Local languages. As the current
PSF format doesn't support variable width fonts , I have made a patch in
the console driver so that it will load a user defined multi-glyph mapping
table so that multiple glyphs can be displayed for a single character
code. All editing operations will also be taken care of.

Further, for Indian languages, there are various consonant/vowel modifiers
which result in complex character clusters. So I have extended the patch
to load user defined context sensitive parse rules for glyphs /
character codes as well. Again, all editing operations will behave
according to the parse rule specifications.

Even though the patch has been developed keeping Indian languages in mind,
I feel it will be applicable to many other languages (for eg. Chinese)
which require wider fonts on console or user defined parsing at I/O level.

Currently I have developed the patch for Kernel versions 2.2.14 and and am
in the process of making it for 2.2.16 and 2.2.17. I request people to
try out this patch and give comments and suggestions to me.

Those who want to try out this patch can send mail to me in the address
[email protected] or to [email protected]

The package , containing the patch , some documentation ,utilities and
sample files will come around 100 KB.

Thanking you,

Ratheesh

---
Ratheesh K
Res: 242 Tapti, IIT Madras , Chennai-36, India Tel:+91-44-4459089
Lab: Distributed Systems& Optical Networks Lab,IIT Madras Tel:+91-44-4458353
http://www.ratheeshkvadhyar.com [email protected]

2000-12-04 12:36:54

by Andries Brouwer

Subject: Re: Linux for local languages - patch

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 09:32:58AM +0530, K Ratheesh wrote:

> I am working on enabling Linux console for Local languages. As the current
> PSF format doesn't support variable width fonts , I have made a patch in
> the console driver so that it will load a user defined multi-glyph mapping
> table so that multiple glyphs can be displayed for a single character
> code. All editing operations will also be taken care of.

Good. Last year I needed support for Tibetan and added just the
converse: single glyphs that were represented by a sequence of
Unicode symbols. This is needed e.g. in the situation where Unicode
does not have precomposed symbol+diacritical, so that the glyph that
represents an accented character corresponds to a sequence rather
than a single Unicode symbol.

Did you start with this psf2 header (from kbd-1.03)?
(Last time I looked, console-tools didnt have this yet.)

> Further, for Indian languages, there are various consonant/vowel modifiers
> which result in complex character clusters. So I have extended the patch
> to load user defined context sensitive parse rules for glyphs /
> character codes as well. Again, all editing operations will behave
> according to the parse rule specifications.
>
> Even though the patch has been developed keeping Indian languages in mind,
> I feel it will be applicable to many other languages (for eg. Chinese)
> which require wider fonts on console or user defined parsing at I/O level.

Yes, maybe. Or maybe something like this is better done in user space.

> Those who want to try out this patch can send mail to me in the address
> [email protected] or to [email protected]

Wouldnt mind seeing your patch.

Andries - [email protected]

2000-12-04 15:47:17

by Kurt Garloff

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 01:05:53PM +0100, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 09:32:58AM +0530, K Ratheesh wrote:
> > Even though the patch has been developed keeping Indian languages in mind,
> > I feel it will be applicable to many other languages (for eg. Chinese)
> > which require wider fonts on console or user defined parsing at I/O level.
>
> Yes, maybe. Or maybe something like this is better done in user space.
>
> > Those who want to try out this patch can send mail to me in the address
> > [email protected] or to [email protected]
>
> Wouldnt mind seeing your patch.

Andries, I sent you a patch a couple of months ago which does enable the
support of wide characters and another font (besides the sun12x22) making
use of it. I hope it's in your codebase by now, so it does not get lost
when the advanced things of K Ratheesh get merged.

Kurt Garloff <[email protected]> Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development
SuSE GmbH, Nuernberg, FRG SCSI, Security

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.10 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)
Download all attachments