2004-01-04 22:12:08

by tomwallard

Subject: Any hope for HPT372/HPT374 IDE controller?

Many people seem to have problems with the Highpoint HPT372 and HPT374 IDE
controllers. Several months ago there was a thread in which many people
reported failure and not many people reported success. For example, "hdX:
lost interrupt" errors right before a crash are a common problem. This was
happening over a wide range of kernel versions. In my case it happens more
quickly if there is heavy network or video load at the same time as heavy
load on this controller. (This is a motherboard with a KT400 chipset).

Have any recent improvements been made? Does anyone have one of these controllers actually working correctly? Does anyone have any idea where to
begin tracking this problem down?

2004-01-04 22:43:14

by JG

Subject: Re: Any hope for HPT372/HPT374 IDE controller?

hi,

> Have any recent improvements been made? Does anyone have one of these controllers actually working correctly?

i have two hpt374 controllers (rocketraid 404, both latest bios) in two of my machines.
i've been using kernel 2.4.19 with the driver v2.1 from highpoint for a long time (with high loads, many disks attached to the controllers) without any problems in both machines (except that some disks died, but that's another thing ;))
at the moment i'm using kernel 2.6.0 on one server with the integrated driver (because there's no highpoint driver yet) and it is working fine so far, but it didn't get stressed much lately.
i'm currently testing 2.6.1-rc1-mm1 on the other machine (which i can reboot more often) - also no problems (yet ;)).
both machines have sis chipsets (sis735 and sis745), if you need more info for debugging/comparing just tell me.

i can remember though that i've had some problems (dunno anymore what problems exactly) with the integrated drivers in the past, hence i was using the one's from highpoint.

JG

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.02 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Måns Rullgård

[email protected] writes:

> Many people seem to have problems with the Highpoint HPT372 and HPT374 IDE
> controllers. Several months ago there was a thread in which many people
> reported failure and not many people reported success. For example, "hdX:
> lost interrupt" errors right before a crash are a common problem. This was
> happening over a wide range of kernel versions. In my case it happens more
> quickly if there is heavy network or video load at the same time as heavy
> load on this controller. (This is a motherboard with a KT400 chipset).
>
> Have any recent improvements been made? Does anyone have one of
> these controllers actually working correctly? Does anyone have any
> idea where to begin tracking this problem down?

Mine is working wonderfully. Linux 2.4.22 and 2.6.0 both work with a
HTP374 based RocketRAID 1540 SATA card in an Alpha SX164. Would
anyone like more details about the system?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Andre Hedrick

I have a version stable for the KT400 chipset, it is the KT600 which is
unstable now. As soon as I finish resolving the issues one of my
customers is having with the KT600, it will be released shortly there
after.

Some of the problems appear with the APIC routing and interrupts being
lost and not begin processed.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 [email protected] wrote:

> Many people seem to have problems with the Highpoint HPT372 and HPT374 IDE
> controllers. Several months ago there was a thread in which many people
> reported failure and not many people reported success. For example, "hdX:
> lost interrupt" errors right before a crash are a common problem. This was
> happening over a wide range of kernel versions. In my case it happens more
> quickly if there is heavy network or video load at the same time as heavy
> load on this controller. (This is a motherboard with a KT400 chipset).
>
> Have any recent improvements been made? Does anyone have one of these controllers actually working correctly? Does anyone have any idea where to
> begin tracking this problem down?
> -

by Carlos Fernandez Sanz

I'm using a HPT 404 (374 chipset). I had all those problems and fixed them
by doing

hdparm -m0 /dev/hd?

in every disk connected to the controller. Someone told me it isn't possible
that helped one bit, but the fact is that it did.

I'm no (kernel) developer, though, so other than reality I have no
arguments.

> Many people seem to have problems with the Highpoint HPT372 and HPT374 IDE
> controllers. Several months ago there was a thread in which many people
> reported failure and not many people reported success. For example, "hdX:
> lost interrupt" errors right before a crash are a common problem. This was
> happening over a wide range of kernel versions. In my case it happens more
> quickly if there is heavy network or video load at the same time as heavy
> load on this controller. (This is a motherboard with a KT400 chipset).
>
> Have any recent improvements been made? Does anyone have one of these
controllers actually working correctly? Does anyone have any idea where to
> begin tracking this problem down?
> -

by Andreas Steinmetz

Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Some of the problems appear with the APIC routing and interrupts being
> lost and not begin processed.

Hopefully this will solve problems for X86-64 AMD chipset based MoBos
too. I can run my Tyan S2885 only with IO-APIC disabled due to HPT302
lockups (2.4)/lost interrupts (2.6).
--
Andreas Steinmetz

2004-01-05 11:08:17

by Zhenghui Zhou

I use the kernel 2.4.xx integrated driver and software raid, it reported the
same error sometimes. Now it work find on most time, but under heavy works,
it report some errors like FIFO empty, etc.

by Job

I use KT400 MoBo, my HD is at HighPoint IDE, I am not using RAID and
works fine with apic=off, but did not boot on 2.6 kernel series due the
lack of ataraid or some scripts.