2004-04-17 07:52:53

by O.Sezer

Subject: SATA support in 2.4.27

Comments in ChangeSet 1.1366 -> 1.1367 say:

# This adds all the SATA drivers except Intel ICH5/ICH6 ("ata_piix").
# ata_piix was the cause of all the ____request_resource() and PCI quirk
# nastiness. As you can see, without that driver, the patch is nice and
# clean, and does nothing but add files.

Shall we people who can stand unclean and ugly trees have a separate
patch for ata_piix please ;))

Regards;
?zkan Sezer

2004-04-17 08:04:16

by Willy Tarreau

Subject: Re: SATA support in 2.4.27

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 10:49:53AM +0300, O.Sezer wrote:
> Comments in ChangeSet 1.1366 -> 1.1367 say:
>
> # This adds all the SATA drivers except Intel ICH5/ICH6 ("ata_piix").
> # ata_piix was the cause of all the ____request_resource() and PCI quirk
> # nastiness. As you can see, without that driver, the patch is nice and
> # clean, and does nothing but add files.
>
> Shall we people who can stand unclean and ugly trees have a separate
> patch for ata_piix please ;))

It's on Jeff's site : http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/
Notice that 2.4.26-bk1-libata1 is fairly smaller than 2.4.26-rc1-libata1 :-)

Willy

2004-04-17 08:07:08

by O.Sezer

Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 10:49:53AM +0300, O.Sezer wrote:
>
>>Comments in ChangeSet 1.1366 -> 1.1367 say:
>>
>># This adds all the SATA drivers except Intel ICH5/ICH6 ("ata_piix").
>># ata_piix was the cause of all the ____request_resource() and PCI quirk
>># nastiness. As you can see, without that driver, the patch is nice and
>># clean, and does nothing but add files.
>>
>>Shall we people who can stand unclean and ugly trees have a separate
>>patch for ata_piix please ;))
>

> It's on Jeff's site : http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/
> Notice that 2.4.26-bk1-libata1 is fairly smaller than 2.4.26-rc1-libata1 :-)
>
> Willy

Ooops, missed that! Thank you very much.

?zkan Sezer

2004-04-17 09:53:19

by Andre Hedrick

Willy,

See you get it ... just patch and go ... what is the problem, heh?

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 10:49:53AM +0300, O.Sezer wrote:
> > Comments in ChangeSet 1.1366 -> 1.1367 say:
> >
> > # This adds all the SATA drivers except Intel ICH5/ICH6 ("ata_piix").
> > # ata_piix was the cause of all the ____request_resource() and PCI quirk
> > # nastiness. As you can see, without that driver, the patch is nice and
> > # clean, and does nothing but add files.
> >
> > Shall we people who can stand unclean and ugly trees have a separate
> > patch for ata_piix please ;))
>
> It's on Jeff's site : http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/
> Notice that 2.4.26-bk1-libata1 is fairly smaller than 2.4.26-rc1-libata1 :-)
>
> Willy
>
> -

by Willy Tarreau

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 02:48:04AM -0700, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Willy,
>
> See you get it ... just patch and go ... what is the problem, heh?

Andre,

There's no problem. I just do not make the confusion between mainline, which
should keep compatible, and "add-ons" which sometimes can break compatibility
with mainline, but which are targetted at experienced users. I'm happy that
SATA goes into mainline IF it does not rename drives which currently work in
earlier releases. That does not prevent me from using more advanced features
and be prepared to change fstab and lila.confo on a particular machine
if/when I upgrade. Mainline is *the* reference that even newbies can use
for blind upgrades without risk. Fortunately, there are lots of wonderful
things around to complete this stable reference.

Cheers,
Willy

2004-04-17 18:32:17

by Andre Hedrick

I would be more concerned about changes in sector count between ATA and
SCSI; however, most people do not even know or look for such details.

Off by "ONE" has the effect of really torquing people.

This the main reason I object.

I suspect no one else even bothered to verify the difference.

Regards,