2000-11-08 20:59:58

by James Simmons

Subject: Network error

Something I seen on a lug. Anyone have a patch for this?

I'm trying to compile a 2.2.17 kernel. When I do a make bzImage, I get
this error. It seems to be centering on networking areas (nfs, svclock,
tcp, etc.)

tcp_input.c:1393:52: warning: pasting would not give a valid preprocessing
token
tcp_input.c:1441:85: warning: pasting would not give a valid preprocessing
token

2000-11-08 21:03:58

by Carey M. Drake

Subject: Re: Network error

Guess: you're using RedHat 7.0 (or somehow else are using a "new"
version of gcc).
Either use make cc=kgcc for redhat or downgrade gcc to a supported
version.

James Simmons wrote:

> Something I seen on a lug. Anyone have a patch for this?
>
> I'm trying to compile a 2.2.17 kernel. When I do a make bzImage, I get
> this error. It seems to be centering on networking areas (nfs, svclock,
> tcp, etc.)
>
> tcp_input.c:1393:52: warning: pasting would not give a valid preprocessing
> token
> tcp_input.c:1441:85: warning: pasting would not give a valid preprocessing
> token
>
> -

C.

When in doubt, poke it with a stick

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion
or policy of his employer or of the little green men that have been
following
him all day.

2000-11-08 22:22:03

by Andre Tomt

> Something I seen on a lug. Anyone have a patch for this?
>
> I'm trying to compile a 2.2.17 kernel. When I do a make bzImage, I get
> this error. It seems to be centering on networking areas (nfs, svclock,
> tcp, etc.)
>
> tcp_input.c:1393:52: warning: pasting would not give a valid preprocessing
> token
> tcp_input.c:1441:85: warning: pasting would not give a valid preprocessing
> token

This is a non fatal warning, not an error. However, newer "in-development"
gcc's have other issues making it refuse to build a full kernel image.
Either fix the makefile to use a compatible cc (egcs, kgcc for example),
define CC to make, or downgrade the default compiler to anything below or
including gcc-2.95.2

Whatever makes you sleep well at night.

--
Andr? Tomt