2000-11-10 18:25:18

by Robbert Muller

Subject: crash @ 64 day's of uptime

Hi
one of the productions server has crashed about 62 day's ago. on a 2.2.16
kernel At that time i consider it a random thing. But the old test server
running the same kernel has crashed a week ago. The weard part is there both
sparc netra and both crashed at 64 day's uptime

some inspections of old log's on 2 other machines at home which both recently
crashed. Both up , you already guest it, 64 day's.

the only thing in commen for the machines:
i know the root password
i installed the machine
running kernel 2.2.16
running redhat 6.2 ( sparc and i386 )
there's nothing in the logs

i hope this is helpfull especialy because i don't have any oops and the machine
configurations are s different it's hard to find simularities

any information is available from mail

--
Robbert Muller | Never let a luser on your console.
mjrider@enschede dot com | Because that means they're in your room.

2000-11-11 01:28:20

by Paul Jakma

Subject: Re: crash @ 64 day's of uptime

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Robbert Muller wrote:

> Hi

> some inspections of old log's on 2 other machines at home which both recently
> crashed. Both up , you already guest it, 64 day's.

[paulj@berkman paulj]$ uptime
1:25am up 202 days, 6:44, 12 users, load average: 0.75, 0.29, 0.20
[paulj@berkman paulj]$ rpm -q redhat-release
redhat-release-6.2-1

you don't have a cleaner coming in every 64 days do you? :)

groetjes,
--
Paul Jakma [email protected]
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt

2000-11-11 09:52:14

by willy tarreau

Hi Robert,

in the company I left 3 months ago, there is a DNS
which has more than 500 days uptime now. It's based
on 2.2.10 and receives requests from internet and
intranet. I know this kernel is pretty old, but you
could try it on an unused system to see if it goes
down in 64 days or not. It may be possible that your
problem is related to a particular driver or subsystem
common to both your sparc and PCs.

Regards,
Willy