2000-11-30 23:29:26

by Velizar Bodurski

Subject: XFree 4.0 problems.

Ok I don't have the system in question, but i use others' experience with
the problem. The system is 2xPentium II Celeron 600 Mhz, 256 MB RAM, Video
Card Matrox Millenium G400, HDD 15 Gb Maxtor 7200 rpm, 2 Mb Cashe,
MB Abit BP6.
Both with kernel version 2.2.17 and 2.4.0-test11 after switching from
X to the console the system hangs, nothing changes if the console is frame
buffer or vt. If for X is used XFree 3.3.3.6 then the problem doesn't
appear.
Any help is apreciated, I don't really know if the problem is with the
kernel or with the config, so any directions will be a lot helpfull.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not on the list, so if there is something i should read please send a
cc: to this address.

2000-11-30 23:37:16

by James Simmons

Subject: Re: XFree 4.0 problems.

> Ok I don't have the system in question, but i use others' experience with
> the problem. The system is 2xPentium II Celeron 600 Mhz, 256 MB RAM, Video
> Card Matrox Millenium G400, HDD 15 Gb Maxtor 7200 rpm, 2 Mb Cashe,
> MB Abit BP6.
> Both with kernel version 2.2.17 and 2.4.0-test11 after switching from
> X to the console the system hangs, nothing changes if the console is frame
> buffer or vt. If for X is used XFree 3.3.3.6 then the problem doesn't
> appear.
> Any help is apreciated, I don't really know if the problem is with the
> kernel or with the config, so any directions will be a lot helpfull.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Do you DRI turned on. IF so turn it off. Your problems will go away then.

2000-12-01 16:43:38

by Mike A. Harris

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Velizar Bodurski wrote:

>Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 01:06:50 +0200 (EET)
>From: Velizar Bodurski <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: XFree 4.0 problems.
>
>Ok I don't have the system in question, but i use others' experience with
>the problem. The system is 2xPentium II Celeron 600 Mhz, 256 MB RAM, Video
>Card Matrox Millenium G400, HDD 15 Gb Maxtor 7200 rpm, 2 Mb Cashe,
>MB Abit BP6.
>Both with kernel version 2.2.17 and 2.4.0-test11 after switching from
>X to the console the system hangs, nothing changes if the console is frame
>buffer or vt. If for X is used XFree 3.3.3.6 then the problem doesn't
>appear.
>Any help is apreciated, I don't really know if the problem is with the
>kernel or with the config, so any directions will be a lot helpfull.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>I'm not on the list, so if there is something i should read please send a
>cc: to this address.

What distribution are you using? If Red Hat Linux, please check
bugzilla.redhat.com and see if this is already reported, if not,
please report it there.

Mike A. Harris - Linux advocate - Open source advocate
This message is copyright 2000, all rights reserved.
Views expressed are my own, not necessarily shared by my employer.

If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0