2000-11-27 23:39:41

by Jeff Merkey

Subject: 2.2.18-23 w/Frame Buffer (LEVEL IV)

A level IV issue in 2.2.18-23. With frame buffer enabled, upon boot,
the OS is displaying four penguin images instead of one penguin in the
upper left corner of the screen. Looks rather tacky. Also puts the VGA
text mode default into mode 274. Is this what's supposed to happen?

Jeff

2000-11-27 23:43:56

by Sven Koch

Subject: Re: 2.2.18-23 w/Frame Buffer (LEVEL IV)

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> A level IV issue in 2.2.18-23. With frame buffer enabled, upon boot,
> the OS is displaying four penguin images instead of one penguin in the
> upper left corner of the screen. Looks rather tacky. Also puts the VGA
> text mode default into mode 274. Is this what's supposed to happen?

Let me guess: it's a 4 cpu smp system?

c'ya
sven

--

The Internet treats censorship as a routing problem, and routes around it.
(John Gilmore on http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/)

2000-11-28 00:07:20

by Jeff Merkey

Sven Koch wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
> > A level IV issue in 2.2.18-23. With frame buffer enabled, upon boot,
> > the OS is displaying four penguin images instead of one penguin in the
> > upper left corner of the screen. Looks rather tacky. Also puts the VGA
> > text mode default into mode 274. Is this what's supposed to happen?
>
> Let me guess: it's a 4 cpu smp system?

Correct. I take it them this is supposed to happen.

Jeff

> c'ya
> sven
>
> --
>
> The Internet treats censorship as a routing problem, and routes around it.
> (John Gilmore on http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/)

2000-11-28 01:24:51

by Alan

> A level IV issue in 2.2.18-23. With frame buffer enabled, upon boot,
> the OS is displaying four penguin images instead of one penguin in the

four processors ?

2000-11-28 02:42:27

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <[email protected]>
By author: "Jeff V. Merkey" <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> > Let me guess: it's a 4 cpu smp system?
>
> Correct. I take it them this is supposed to happen.

Yup, one penguin per CPU.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt

2000-11-28 21:08:52

by Alex Buell

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> A level IV issue in 2.2.18-23. With frame buffer enabled, upon boot,
> the OS is displaying four penguin images instead of one penguin in the
> upper left corner of the screen. Looks rather tacky. Also puts the
> VGA text mode default into mode 274. Is this what's supposed to
> happen?

Have you ever used a box with more than one processor? Looks like you have
four processors on that box.

Cheers,
Alex
--