2000-11-28 09:04:08

by Tom Mraz

Subject: Status of the NTFS driver in 2.4.0 kernels?

Hello,

I've tried to use the readonly NTFS driver in 2.4.0-test11 kernel, but it
reported me a kernel BUG at fs.c:567. I've searched the archives where David
Weinehall writes that the driver even in readonly mode doesn't support the
Win2k NTFS. But I don't have Win2k NTFS (I have WinNT 4.0 SP 6) and the
kernel still reports this bug :-(. The driver from 2.2.17 kernel seems to
work fine. Could someone help me?

Please Cc me, because I'm not subscribed to the kernel mailing list. (Or
don't if you don't want to because I read the archives regularly. :-))

Thanks,

Tomas Mraz

Turkish proverb

2000-11-28 09:16:18

by Anton Altaparmakov

Subject: Re: Status of the NTFS driver in 2.4.0 kernels?

It's not a real bug. - It's a call to BUG() in ntfs_get_block which is
there because the function is not actually implemented. - I have only ever
seen this happen when using midnight commander to browse through an NTFS
partition. - It seems to never happen if I am just in bash typing away or
ftp-ing into the machine with the mounted NTFS partitions.

When are you hitting this? - If you are using mc just refrain from using it
for now for ntfs filesystems and all will be fine.

Anton

At 08:33 28/11/2000, Tom Mraz wrote:
>I've tried to use the readonly NTFS driver in 2.4.0-test11 kernel, but it
>reported me a kernel BUG at fs.c:567. I've searched the archives where David
>Weinehall writes that the driver even in readonly mode doesn't support the
>Win2k NTFS. But I don't have Win2k NTFS (I have WinNT 4.0 SP 6) and the
>kernel still reports this bug :-(. The driver from 2.2.17 kernel seems to
>work fine. Could someone help me?
>
>Please Cc me, because I'm not subscribed to the kernel mailing list. (Or
>don't if you don't want to because I read the archives regularly. :-))
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tomas Mraz

>the body of a message to [email protected]

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he
learned in school." - Albert Einstein
--
Anton Altaparmakov Voice: +44-(0)1223-333541(lab) / +44-(0)7712-632205(mobile)
Christ's College eMail: [email protected] / [email protected]

2000-11-28 09:33:21

by Tom Mraz

> It's not a real bug. - It's a call to BUG() in ntfs_get_block which is
> there because the function is not actually implemented. - I have only ever
> seen this happen when using midnight commander to browse through an NTFS
> partition. - It seems to never happen if I am just in bash typing away or
> ftp-ing into the machine with the mounted NTFS partitions.
>
> When are you hitting this? - If you are using mc just refrain from using it
> for now for ntfs filesystems and all will be fine.
>
> Anton

I just login and then try to play mp3 file from the mounted NTFS partition
using mpg123 program. I'm calling it directly from bash. It immediately
reports the bug and it's 100% reproducible. I understand that this is due to
unimplemented part of the driver. Will it be implemented someday? Because
I don't use the NTFS partition too often it isn't of too much importance to
me but it would be nice to be able to read it (if I don't convert it to
ext2fs sooner ;-)).

Tomas Mraz