2001-02-22 18:02:47

by Tim Wright

Subject: Wrong data [was Re: Incorrect module init message..]

There's nothing wrong with the mailing list. Pavel, please set your clock
correctly :-)

Tim

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 04:45:15AM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> >Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 05:06:12 +0000
> >From: Pavel Machek <[email protected]>
> >To: Mike A. Harris <[email protected]>
> >Subject: Re: Incorrect module init message..

[...]

--
Tim Wright - [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected]
IBM Linux Technology Center, Beaverton, Oregon

2001-02-22 18:27:19

by Mike A. Harris

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Tim Wright wrote:

>Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:01:32 -0800
>From: Tim Wright <[email protected]>
>To: Mike A. Harris <[email protected]>
>Cc: Pavel Machek <[email protected]>,
> Linux Kernel mailing list <[email protected]>
>Subject: Wrong data [was Re: Incorrect module init message..]
>
>There's nothing wrong with the mailing list. Pavel, please set your clock
>correctly :-)

No, Pavel's clock is fine AFAIK. The message was sent in
January. However, it was just received AGAIN today. I don't
have a clue how it could have happened, but my guess was perhaps
vger was restored from a backup or something and the mail queue
was ancient.

Also, my duplicate filter is still nailing lots of postings from
lkml, so some looping must still be happening as I'm only sub'd
under this address.

Mike A. Harris - Linux advocate - Free Software advocate
This message is copyright 2001, all rights reserved.
Views expressed are my own, not necessarily shared by my employer.
Press every key to continue.

2001-03-01 20:33:39

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> >There's nothing wrong with the mailing list. Pavel, please set your clock
> >correctly :-)
>
> No, Pavel's clock is fine AFAIK. The message was sent in
> January. However, it was just received AGAIN today. I don't

Unfortunately, my clock is b0rken. This damn little machine just does
not have ability to retain time across reboot. [For booting, I need
winCE. WinCE will crash upon boot if something unexpected (like linux)
is in memory. Therefore I need to remove main battery for reboot :-(.]

It even does not have ability to retain time correctly during powersave
mode, but that could be solved.

Before someone says "NTP", this machine is usually not connected anywhere --
it comunicates via ATA flash. Maybe I could scan flash for newest timestamp
and use that for date...

Oh, and it might be possible that mail was accidentaly sent twice. Sorry for
confusion.

> Press every key to continue.

:-)

no usable clock. details at http://atrey....cuni.cz/~pavel/velo/index.html.

2001-03-02 10:37:55

by Erik Mouw

On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 01:49:41AM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > No, Pavel's clock is fine AFAIK. The message was sent in
> > January. However, it was just received AGAIN today. I don't
>
> Unfortunately, my clock is b0rken. This damn little machine just does
> not have ability to retain time across reboot. [For booting, I need
> winCE. WinCE will crash upon boot if something unexpected (like linux)
> is in memory. Therefore I need to remove main battery for reboot :-(.]
>
> It even does not have ability to retain time correctly during powersave
> mode, but that could be solved.
>
> Before someone says "NTP", this machine is usually not connected anywhere --
> it comunicates via ATA flash. Maybe I could scan flash for newest timestamp
> and use that for date...

On a similar system I use a little trick so the time is at least always
increasing:

- touch the file /etc/timestamp just before the system shuts down
- on bootup I set the time with:
CURRENTTIME=date -r /etc/timestamp
date -s "$CURRENTTIME"

Erik

Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635 Fax: +31-15-2781843 Email: [email protected]