2002-10-07 20:28:24

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: The reason to call it 3.0 is the desktop (was Re: [OT] 2.6 not3.0 - (NUMA))

Alan Cox wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 19:51, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > In the meantime, it might just be possible to take a look at the uid, and
> > if the uid matches use find_group_other, but for non-matching uids use
> > find_group_dir. That gives a "compact for same users, distribute for
> > different users" heuristic, which might be acceptable for normal use (and
> > the theoretical cleanup tool could fix it up).
>
> Factoring the uid/gid/pid in actually may help in other ways. If we are
> doing it by pid or by uid we will reduce the interleave of multiple
> files thing you sometimes get

Yes, that would help on multiuser setups. Delayed allocation is
a great fix for that problem though.

The other obvious heuristic is "if the parent directory was
created in the last five seconds, use find_group_other()". But
that made Linus go "ewwww".

2002-10-07 20:42:04

by Linus Torvalds

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:

> The other obvious heuristic is "if the parent directory was
> created in the last five seconds, use find_group_other()". But
> that made Linus go "ewwww".

Well, it makes me go "less ewww" than the current scheme, so if that turns
out to be acceptable to others, I won't mind _too_ much.

The reason I don't like time too much persoanlly is that it's not very
reproducible. Especially if the times are in the second range. I'd rather
have a heuristic that is deterministic.

Linus