2003-05-05 19:32:49

by Joseph Fannin

Subject: microcode driver fails on PIII-Celeron

The microcode driver in the kernel fails for me on my laptop with
a PIII-era Celeron 900. I've tested both 2.4 and 2.5 kernels over
course of a year or so; all abort with the same error when trying to
load the microcode:

microcode: CPU0 no microcode found! (sig=68a, pflags=32)

My amateur reading of the code leads me to think the processor
might be misidentified somehow (or something, my head doesn't like bit
operations).

/proc/cpuinfo:
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : Celeron (Coppermine)
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 897.366
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips : 1773.56

FWIW, this is a Debian unstable system, using the microcode
utilities as packaged for Debian. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 2500,
based on the i815 chipset.

Is this a bug, or is this really not supposed to work?

--
Joseph Fannin
[email protected]

"That's all I have to say about that." -- Forrest Gump.

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.24 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Tigran Aivazian

Subject: Re: microcode driver fails on PIII-Celeron

This is not a bug. It simply means that there is no microcode data for
your processor. So, I recommend disabling invocation of microcode_ctl on
startup until there is a latest set of microcode data which contains a
chunk for your cpu (i.e. until your cpu has some bugs worthy of fixing :)

Regards
Tigran

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Joseph Fannin wrote:

> The microcode driver in the kernel fails for me on my laptop with
> a PIII-era Celeron 900. I've tested both 2.4 and 2.5 kernels over
> course of a year or so; all abort with the same error when trying to
> load the microcode:
>
> microcode: CPU0 no microcode found! (sig=68a, pflags=32)
>
> My amateur reading of the code leads me to think the processor
> might be misidentified somehow (or something, my head doesn't like bit
> operations).
>
> /proc/cpuinfo:
> processor : 0
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 6
> model : 8
> model name : Celeron (Coppermine)
> stepping : 10
> cpu MHz : 897.366
> cache size : 128 KB
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> f00f_bug : no
> coma_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 2
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
> bogomips : 1773.56
>
> FWIW, this is a Debian unstable system, using the microcode
> utilities as packaged for Debian. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 2500,
> based on the i815 chipset.
>
> Is this a bug, or is this really not supposed to work?
>
> --
> Joseph Fannin
> [email protected]
>
> "That's all I have to say about that." -- Forrest Gump.

2003-05-05 19:40:22

by Tigran Aivazian

btw, I assume that you have the latest microcode data downloaded from:

http://www.urbanmyth.org/microcode