2004-09-23 17:22:46

by Tigran Aivazian

Subject: 2.6.8.1 doesn't boot on x86_64

Hello,

I haven't heard about it on x86_64 discuss list so I thought it is worth
asking if someone else has encountered this. When I boot 2.6.8.1 kernel
(patched with kdb) the last thing I see is:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 160k f

I don't get the whole word "freed", only the first letter "f". This is SMP
kernel. I will try recompiling without kdb and also booting as "nosmp" to
see if it makes any difference.

Fedora Core 2 smp kernel boots fine, btw.

Kind regards
Tigran

2004-09-23 17:37:55

by Tigran Aivazian

Subject: Re: 2.6.8.1 doesn't boot on x86_64

booting with nosmp panics dereferencing NULL pointer and the stack trace
(ignoring offsets) looks like this:

sysfs_hash_and_remove
sysfs_remove_link
class_device_dev_unlink
class_device_del
class_device_unregister
scsi_remove_host
ata_host_remove
ata_device_add
ata_pci_init_one
piix_init_one
pci_device_probe_static
__pci_device_probe
bus_match
driver_attach
bus_add_driver
driver_register
pci_register_driver
piix_init
child_rip

Btw, in this context I noticed something interesting earlier (with Fedora
Core 2 kernels) --- if I plug in the second SATA disk to the 3
channel then Linux only detects the first SATA disk and the second host
thread just exists. I didn't know if it's a bug or expected behaviour so I
just plugged in the second SATA disk into the first controller so I get
sda and sdb disks and everything works fine (with FC2 kernel, not
2.6.8.1).

I cc'd Jeff Garzik as the functions on the stack (ata bits) seem to belong
to his area. Jeff, this is booting 2.6.8.1 with "nosmp" on an x86_64 with
two SATA disks (sda and sdb). Booting without "nosmp" hangs as described
below. Booting with "nosmp" panics as described above.

Kind regards
Tigran

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I haven't heard about it on x86_64 discuss list so I thought it is worth
> asking if someone else has encountered this. When I boot 2.6.8.1 kernel
> (patched with kdb) the last thing I see is:
>
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 160k f
>
> I don't get the whole word "freed", only the first letter "f". This is SMP
> kernel. I will try recompiling without kdb and also booting as "nosmp" to
> see if it makes any difference.
>
> Fedora Core 2 smp kernel boots fine, btw.
>
> Kind regards
> Tigran

2004-09-23 17:39:49

by Thomas Zehetbauer

Successfully running 2.6.8.1 on Tyan Thunder K8W/dual Opteron here.

Tom

--
T h o m a s Z e h e t b a u e r ( TZ251 )
PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Experience is what you get when you expected something else.

Attachments:
signature.asc (481.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-09-23 17:46:35

by Tigran Aivazian

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:

> Successfully running 2.6.8.1 on Tyan Thunder K8W/dual Opteron here.

Ok, thank you, but what would be even more interesting is if someone
running Intel EM64T machine with ICH6 and 2 SATA disks on ata1 and nothing
on ata2 also confirmed that 2.6.8.1-smp kernel works for them...

Kind regards
Tigran

2004-09-23 17:57:43

by Erik Mouw

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 06:21:30PM +0100, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> I haven't heard about it on x86_64 discuss list so I thought it is worth
> asking if someone else has encountered this. When I boot 2.6.8.1 kernel
> (patched with kdb) the last thing I see is:
>
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 160k f
>
> I don't get the whole word "freed", only the first letter "f". This is SMP
> kernel. I will try recompiling without kdb and also booting as "nosmp" to
> see if it makes any difference.
>
> Fedora Core 2 smp kernel boots fine, btw.

FWIW, a non-kdb patched 2.6.8.1 kernel runs fine on a dual CPU box
(Tyan Thunder K8W with 2x Opteron 242):

Linux zebigbos 2.6.8.1 #1 SMP Fri Sep 10 18:57:48 CEST 2004 x86_64 unknown

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- http://www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --
| Lab address: Delftechpark 26, 2628 XH, Delft, The Netherlands

2004-09-23 18:17:41

by Andi Kleen

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: 2.6.8.1 doesn't boot on x86_64

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 06:44:46PM +0100, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
>
> > Successfully running 2.6.8.1 on Tyan Thunder K8W/dual Opteron here.
> >

> Ok, thank you, but what would be even more interesting is if someone
> running Intel EM64T machine with ICH6 and 2 SATA disks on ata1 and nothing
> on ata2 also confirmed that 2.6.8.1-smp kernel works for them...

2.6.8.1 works fine for me on lots of different boxes.

Have you tried without the kdb patch?

If not I would suggest to enable earlyprintk and see if you can
get better output.

-Andi

2004-09-23 18:17:12

by Tigran Aivazian

I have now reverted kdb patches and the system boots fine, both as smp and
as nosmp. The kdb patches which I applied to 2.6.8.1 were:

kdb-v4.4-2.6.8-common-1.bz2
kdb-v4.4-2.6.8-x86-64-1.bz2

downloaded from oss.sgi.com. It may still be a problem with base kernel
which kdb just triggered --- who knows...