2002-09-27 16:16:59

by Rik van Riel

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] procps 2.0.8

Procps 2.0.8

Procps is the package containing various system monitoring tools, like
ps, top, vmstat, free, kill, sysctl, uptime and more. After a long
period of inactivity procps maintenance is active again and suggestions,
bugreports and patches are always welcome on the procps list.

The plan is to release a procps 2.1.0 around the time the 2.6.0 kernel
comes out, with maybe one extra intermediary release between now and
then. Various features and code cleanups are planned, the /proc changes
in 2.5 are also sure to keep the procps maintainers busy...

You can download procps 2.0.8 from:

http://surriel.com/procps/procps-2.0.8.tar.bz2

If you have feedback (or patches) for the procps team, feel free to
mail us at:

[email protected]

NEWS for version 2.0.8 of procps

* Integrate bugfixes and enhancements from all the vendor RPMs (Rik van Riel)
* Support new /proc layout, up to 2.5.39 or so. (Andrew Morton)
* Scheduler policy display in top and ps (Robert Love)
* Lots of compile cleanups and warning fixes (Robert Love)
* Support for understanding threads (Robert Love)
* Realtime priority and scheduling policy display for ps (Robert Love)
* Change meminfo() from an array into an actual struct, remove 60 lines
of no longer needed code from free.c (Rik van Riel)
* Display active and inactive memory statistics from 2.4 and 2.5 kernels,
in vmstat and top (Rik van Riel)
* A bug introduced by locale support was fixed; locales with , as the
decimal point will work again.
* Libproc supports new process-migrating beowulf systems.

2002-09-27 19:55:46

by Rik van Riel

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] procps 2.0.8

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Procps 2.0.8

Does anybody have a brown paper bag I could borrow ?

It appears Robert and I cleaned up stuff a bit too much
and procps lost it's VERSION string, so -V doesn't work
in the tarball I released earlier today.

Also, it appears the release has awoken some long sleeping
patches, which I'll read and (if they work) integrate into
procps.

> You can download procps 2.0.8 from:
> http://surriel.com/procps/

Expect patches and maybe even a fixed 2.0.8 tarball soon...

If you have any procps bugs or patches, please mail the procps team:

[email protected]

regards,

Rik

Spamtraps of the month: [email protected] [email protected]

2002-09-27 20:42:02

by Robert Love

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 16:00, Rik van Riel wrote:

> It appears Robert and I cleaned up stuff a bit too much
> and procps lost it's VERSION string, so -V doesn't work
> in the tarball I released earlier today.
>
> Also, it appears the release has awoken some long sleeping
> patches, which I'll read and (if they work) integrate into
> procps.

<brown paper bag>

Whoops! To make up for it, I just made tarballs and RPM packages of the
latest CVS dump, which includes the version fixes and one or two other
minor patches since 2.0.8.

They are available at: http://tech9.net/rml/procps/

</brown paper bag>

Robert Love

2002-09-28 13:49:28

by Daniel Egger

Am Fre, 2002-09-27 um 22.00 schrieb Rik van Riel:

> Expect patches and maybe even a fixed 2.0.8 tarball soon...

Please, double-please: Make it 2.0.9 then, two different tarballs with
the same version do no good.

--
Servus,
Daniel

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Dies ist ein digital signierter Nachrichtenteil

2002-09-28 14:39:43

by Rik van Riel

On 28 Sep 2002, Daniel Egger wrote:
> Am Fre, 2002-09-27 um 22.00 schrieb Rik van Riel:
>
> > Expect patches and maybe even a fixed 2.0.8 tarball soon...
>
> Please, double-please: Make it 2.0.9 then, two different tarballs with
> the same version do no good.

It'll be 2.0.9, the release has awoken many people with procps
patches, so I'l probably be busy integrating and fixing stuff
all weekend.

I guess 2.0.9 will be out monday or thursday ;)