2002-09-30 16:55:00

by Rik van Riel

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] procps 2.0.9

Procps 2.0.9

Procps is the package containing various system monitoring tools, like
ps, top, vmstat, free, kill, sysctl, uptime and more. After a long
period of inactivity procps maintenance is active again and suggestions,
bugreports and patches are always welcome on the procps list.

The plan is to release a procps 2.1.0 around the time the 2.6.0 kernel
comes out, with regular releases until then. Code cleanups and all kinds
of enhancements are welcome.

You can download procps 2.0.9 from:

http://surriel.com/procps/procps-2.0.9.tar.bz2

If you have feedback (or patches) for the procps team, feel free to
mail us at:

[email protected]

NEWS for version 2.0.9 of procps

* harvest numerous patches from Debian procps (Rik van Riel)
* source code Lindented on popular request (Rik van Riel)
* support for printing the current CPU of a process (Robert Love)
* Add the pmap program (Andy Isaacson)
* On large SMP systems top had no screen space left for processes
because of the CPU stats. Allow users to [C]ollapse the CPU
stats into a single line. (Rik van Riel)
* More code cleanups (Roberto Nibali, Rik van Riel)
* Make all tools display the standard version (Rik van Riel)
* VERSION got lost in the cleanups (Roberto Nibali, Rik van Riel)
* Fix pgrep/pkill usage message confusion (Roberto Nibali)

2002-09-30 18:38:25

by Albert D. Cahalan

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] procps 2.0.9

> Procps is the package containing various system monitoring tools, like
> ps, top, vmstat, free, kill, sysctl, uptime and more. After a long
> period of inactivity procps maintenance is active again and suggestions,
> bugreports and patches are always welcome on the procps list.

It should be mentioned that this is a fork off of an obsolete
code base. I was keeping quiet in hopes of resolving the fork.
Many of the "fixes" have been in Debian's procps for years.

Debian's code has been fully maintained for years. It is
available in CVS at SourceForge. Let us know what you think
of the new "top" program.

2002-09-30 18:54:15

by Andrew Morton

"Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:

> > Procps is the package containing various system monitoring tools, like
> > ps, top, vmstat, free, kill, sysctl, uptime and more. After a long
> > period of inactivity procps maintenance is active again and suggestions,
> > bugreports and patches are always welcome on the procps list.
>
> It should be mentioned that this is a fork off of an obsolete
> code base. I was keeping quiet in hopes of resolving the fork.
> Many of the "fixes" have been in Debian's procps for years.
>
> Debian's code has been fully maintained for years. It is
> available in CVS at SourceForge. Let us know what you think
> of the new "top" program.

Does it support the /proc/stat cleanups which I have queued,
and the additional /proc/meminfo fields?

2002-09-30 19:09:04

by Albert D. Cahalan

Andrew Morton writes:
> "Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:

>> Many of the "fixes" have been in Debian's procps for years.
>>
>> Debian's code has been fully maintained for years. It is
>> available in CVS at SourceForge. Let us know what you think
>> of the new "top" program.
>
> Does it support the /proc/stat cleanups which I have queued,
> and the additional /proc/meminfo fields?

Today, no. Next week, yes. Maybe by tonight even...

That's very recent stuff that you sent to the other fork.
BTW, the /proc/meminfo parsing was cleaned up years ago.
You didn't see that clean-up because Red Hat fell asleep
for a few years.

2002-09-30 20:10:03

by Rik van Riel

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:
> "Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:
> > Debian's code has been fully maintained for years. It is
> > available in CVS at SourceForge. Let us know what you think
> > of the new "top" program.
>
> Does it support the /proc/stat cleanups which I have queued,
> and the additional /proc/meminfo fields?

It doesn't seem support any of these things, but I have to
admit that the header of the new top program is more readable
than the old one due to not being completely in bold.

Looks like I'll have to port over some of the nice features
of the new top into the old one, or the other way around ;)

Rik

Spamtraps of the month: [email protected] [email protected]

2002-10-01 12:47:53

by Maciej W. Rozycki

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> That's very recent stuff that you sent to the other fork.
> BTW, the /proc/meminfo parsing was cleaned up years ago.
> You didn't see that clean-up because Red Hat fell asleep
> for a few years.

Well, I don't really use any distribution anymore (although I look at
them for patches from time to time), yet I still believed it's long
abandoned. A regex search of FTP sites for procps-.*\.tar\.(gz|bz2)
yields anything from 0.92 up to 2.0.7 but nothing newer and tsx-11 at MIT
still has 2.0.3 only. It really doesn't hurt to make a release from time
to time if you maintain anything...

+ e-mail: [email protected], PGP key available +

2002-10-06 22:50:36

by Albert D. Cahalan

Andrew Morton writes:
> "Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:

>> Debian's code has been fully maintained for years. It is
>> available in CVS at SourceForge. Let us know what you think
>> of the new "top" program.
>
> Does it support the /proc/stat cleanups which I have queued,
> and the additional /proc/meminfo fields?

Yes, as promised, even though Linus hadn't accepted the
changes when you posted the above. (even checked BitKeeper)

http://procps.sf.net/