2004-10-25 13:34:19

by Johan Groth

Subject: External USB harddisk problems

Hi,
I'm experiencing problems with a Maxtor USB HD drives that hope someone
on this list can shed some light on. When I try to copy a file to or
from the HD that is > 100MB the whole system hangs. I can't ping it from
another systems, nothing shows up in any logs so I don't know why it
hangs. I'm using 2.6.8-k7-smp from Debian unstable. The USB card is a
2.0 version with a Nec chipset.

Regards,
Johan

PS, please CC me as I'm not subscribed to this list.

Symbian Software Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with
registered number 4190020 and registered office at 2-6 Boundary Row,
Southwark, London, SE1 8HP, UK. This message is intended only for use by
the named addressee and may contain privileged and/or confidential
information. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate,
copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this
message in error please notify [email protected] and delete the
message and any attachments accompanying it immediately. Neither Symbian
nor any of its subsidiaries accepts liability for any corruption,
interception, amendment, tampering or viruses occurring to this message in
transit or for any message sent by its employees which is not in compliance
with Symbian corporate policy.

2004-10-25 13:49:31

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: Re: External USB harddisk problems

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Johan Groth wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm experiencing problems with a Maxtor USB HD drives that hope someone on
> this list can shed some light on. When I try to copy a file to or from the HD
> that is > 100MB the whole system hangs. I can't ping it from another systems,
> nothing shows up in any logs so I don't know why it hangs. I'm using
> 2.6.8-k7-smp from Debian unstable. The USB card is a 2.0 version with a Nec
> chipset.
>
> Regards,
> Johan
>
> PS, please CC me as I'm not subscribed to this list.

Just some information.... Most of these external USB and/or
external Firewire disks such as ACOM, etc., contain an
EIDE (ATA) hard disk plus an adapter board with a
USB or IEEE sequencer. These sequencers can be a pain
in the ass because they do 8-bit math. It may be necessary
to artifically constrain the per-operation data-length
with this in mind.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 GrumpyMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.