2022-09-15 08:52:06

by Peter Zijlstra

Subject: RCU vs NOHZ

Hi,

After watching Joel's talk about RCU and idle ticks I was wondering
about why RCU doesn't have NOHZ hooks -- that is regular NOHZ, not the
NOHZ_FULL stuff.

These deep idle states are only feasible during NOHZ idle, and the NOHZ
path is already relatively expensive (which is offset by then mostly
staying idle for a long while).

Specifically my thinking was that when a CPU goes NOHZ it can splice
it's callback list onto a global list (cmpxchg), and then the
jiffy-updater CPU can look at and consume this global list (xchg).

Before you say... but globals suck (they do), NOHZ already has a fair
amount of global state, and as said before, it's offset by the CPU then
staying idle for a fair while. If there is heavy contention on the NOHZ
data, the idle governor is doing a bad job by selecting deep idle states
whilst we're not actually idle for long.

The above would remove the reason for RCU to inhibit NOHZ.

Additionally; when the very last CPU goes idle (I think we know this
somewhere, but I can't reaily remember where) we can insta-advance the
QS machinery and run the callbacks before going (NOHZ) idle.

Is there a reason this couldn't work? To me this seems like a much
simpler solution than the whole rcu-cb thing.

2022-09-15 15:47:50

by Joel Fernandes

Subject: Re: RCU vs NOHZ

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 9:39 AM Peter Zijlstra <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After watching Joel's talk about RCU and idle ticks I was wondering
> about why RCU doesn't have NOHZ hooks -- that is regular NOHZ, not the
> NOHZ_FULL stuff.

Glad the talk stirred up a discussion!

> These deep idle states are only feasible during NOHZ idle, and the NOHZ
> path is already relatively expensive (which is offset by then mostly
> staying idle for a long while).
>
> Specifically my thinking was that when a CPU goes NOHZ it can splice
> it's callback list onto a global list (cmpxchg), and then the
> jiffy-updater CPU can look at and consume this global list (xchg).
>
> Before you say... but globals suck (they do), NOHZ already has a fair
> amount of global state, and as said before, it's offset by the CPU then
> staying idle for a fair while. If there is heavy contention on the NOHZ
> data, the idle governor is doing a bad job by selecting deep idle states
> whilst we're not actually idle for long.
>
> The above would remove the reason for RCU to inhibit NOHZ.
>

> Additionally; when the very last CPU goes idle (I think we know this
> somewhere, but I can't reaily remember where) we can insta-advance the
> QS machinery and run the callbacks before going (NOHZ) idle.
>

> Is there a reason this couldn't work? To me this seems like a much
> simpler solution than the whole rcu-cb thing.

You mean the “whole rcu-nocb” thing? The nocb feature does not just
eliminate the need to keep idle ticks ON, that’s just one of the
reasons to use nocb. The other reasons is nocb makes the cb invoke in
a thread and not softirq of the queuing cpu, this makes the energy
aware scheduler decide where to place those threads and it seems to do
a really good job of saving power (Vlad Rezki who works on android
checked and I CC’d).

Maybe your suggestion is more about how to keep the idle tick off on
systems without using no-cb (note that nocb has additional overhead
due to thread wake ups and locking)? If we do the global thing you
mentioned, then that means we won’t get the per cpu cache locality
benefits on those systems that want the cb to execute on same cpu (cb
operating on a hot cache line) since your cb gets invoked on the
jiffie updating cpu per your design.

Outside of RCU, I do remember back in my android days that even with
nocb, we can see idle ticks present quite a bit (this is likely
because of the idle governor in android, but I did not dig much
deeper). I need to go and investigate that again..

Thanks,

- Joel

2022-09-15 17:19:32

by Paul E. McKenney

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 10:39:12AM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After watching Joel's talk about RCU and idle ticks I was wondering
> about why RCU doesn't have NOHZ hooks -- that is regular NOHZ, not the
> NOHZ_FULL stuff.

It actually does, but they have recently moved into the context-tracking
code, courtesy of Frederic's recent patch series.

> These deep idle states are only feasible during NOHZ idle, and the NOHZ
> path is already relatively expensive (which is offset by then mostly
> staying idle for a long while).
>
> Specifically my thinking was that when a CPU goes NOHZ it can splice
> it's callback list onto a global list (cmpxchg), and then the
> jiffy-updater CPU can look at and consume this global list (xchg).
>
> Before you say... but globals suck (they do), NOHZ already has a fair
> amount of global state, and as said before, it's offset by the CPU then
> staying idle for a fair while. If there is heavy contention on the NOHZ
> data, the idle governor is doing a bad job by selecting deep idle states
> whilst we're not actually idle for long.
>
> The above would remove the reason for RCU to inhibit NOHZ.
>

> Additionally; when the very last CPU goes idle (I think we know this
> somewhere, but I can't reaily remember where) we can insta-advance the
> QS machinery and run the callbacks before going (NOHZ) idle.
>

> Is there a reason this couldn't work? To me this seems like a much
> simpler solution than the whole rcu-cb thing.

To restate Joel's reply a bit...

Maybe.

Except that we need rcu_nocbs anyway for low latency and HPC applications.
Given that we have it, and given that it totally eliminates RCU-induced
idle ticks, how would it help to add cmpxchg-based global offloading?

Thanx, Paul

2022-09-15 19:04:37

by Peter Zijlstra

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 09:06:00AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 10:39:12AM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After watching Joel's talk about RCU and idle ticks I was wondering
> > about why RCU doesn't have NOHZ hooks -- that is regular NOHZ, not the
> > NOHZ_FULL stuff.
>
> It actually does, but they have recently moved into the context-tracking
> code, courtesy of Frederic's recent patch series.

afair that's idle and that is not nohz.

> > These deep idle states are only feasible during NOHZ idle, and the NOHZ
> > path is already relatively expensive (which is offset by then mostly
> > staying idle for a long while).
> >
> > Specifically my thinking was that when a CPU goes NOHZ it can splice
> > it's callback list onto a global list (cmpxchg), and then the
> > jiffy-updater CPU can look at and consume this global list (xchg).
> >
> > Before you say... but globals suck (they do), NOHZ already has a fair
> > amount of global state, and as said before, it's offset by the CPU then
> > staying idle for a fair while. If there is heavy contention on the NOHZ
> > data, the idle governor is doing a bad job by selecting deep idle states
> > whilst we're not actually idle for long.
> >
> > The above would remove the reason for RCU to inhibit NOHZ.
> >

> > Additionally; when the very last CPU goes idle (I think we know this
> > somewhere, but I can't reaily remember where) we can insta-advance the
> > QS machinery and run the callbacks before going (NOHZ) idle.
> >

> > Is there a reason this couldn't work? To me this seems like a much
> > simpler solution than the whole rcu-cb thing.
>
> To restate Joel's reply a bit...
>
> Maybe.
>
> Except that we need rcu_nocbs anyway for low latency and HPC applications.
> Given that we have it, and given that it totally eliminates RCU-induced
> idle ticks, how would it help to add cmpxchg-based global offloading?

Because that nocb stuff isn't default enabled?

2022-09-15 19:34:39

by Paul E. McKenney

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 08:50:44PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 09:06:00AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 10:39:12AM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > After watching Joel's talk about RCU and idle ticks I was wondering
> > > about why RCU doesn't have NOHZ hooks -- that is regular NOHZ, not the
> > > NOHZ_FULL stuff.
> >
> > It actually does, but they have recently moved into the context-tracking
> > code, courtesy of Frederic's recent patch series.
>
> afair that's idle and that is not nohz.

For nohz_full CPUs, it does both.

> > > These deep idle states are only feasible during NOHZ idle, and the NOHZ
> > > path is already relatively expensive (which is offset by then mostly
> > > staying idle for a long while).
> > >
> > > Specifically my thinking was that when a CPU goes NOHZ it can splice
> > > it's callback list onto a global list (cmpxchg), and then the
> > > jiffy-updater CPU can look at and consume this global list (xchg).
> > >
> > > Before you say... but globals suck (they do), NOHZ already has a fair
> > > amount of global state, and as said before, it's offset by the CPU then
> > > staying idle for a fair while. If there is heavy contention on the NOHZ
> > > data, the idle governor is doing a bad job by selecting deep idle states
> > > whilst we're not actually idle for long.
> > >
> > > The above would remove the reason for RCU to inhibit NOHZ.
> > >

> > > Additionally; when the very last CPU goes idle (I think we know this
> > > somewhere, but I can't reaily remember where) we can insta-advance the
> > > QS machinery and run the callbacks before going (NOHZ) idle.
> > >

> > > Is there a reason this couldn't work? To me this seems like a much
> > > simpler solution than the whole rcu-cb thing.
> >
> > To restate Joel's reply a bit...
> >
> > Maybe.
> >
> > Except that we need rcu_nocbs anyway for low latency and HPC applications.
> > Given that we have it, and given that it totally eliminates RCU-induced
> > idle ticks, how would it help to add cmpxchg-based global offloading?
>
> Because that nocb stuff isn't default enabled?

Last I checked, both RHEL and Fedora were built with CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU=y.
And I checked Fedora just now.

Or am I missing your point?

Thanx, Paul

2022-09-15 22:40:37

by Peter Zijlstra

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 12:14:27PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 08:50:44PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> > > It actually does, but they have recently moved into the context-tracking
> > > code, courtesy of Frederic's recent patch series.
> >
> > afair that's idle and that is not nohz.
>
> For nohz_full CPUs, it does both.

Normal people don't have nohz_full cpus (and shouldn't want any).

> > > To restate Joel's reply a bit...
> > >
> > > Maybe.
> > >
> > > Except that we need rcu_nocbs anyway for low latency and HPC applications.
> > > Given that we have it, and given that it totally eliminates RCU-induced
> > > idle ticks, how would it help to add cmpxchg-based global offloading?
> >
> > Because that nocb stuff isn't default enabled?
>
> Last I checked, both RHEL and Fedora were built with CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU=y.
> And I checked Fedora just now.
>
> Or am I missing your point?

I might be missing the point; but why did Joel have a talk if it's all
default on?

2022-09-16 03:52:48

by Joel Fernandes

On 9/15/2022 6:30 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

>>> Because that nocb stuff isn't default enabled?
>> Last I checked, both RHEL and Fedora were built with CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU=y.
>> And I checked Fedora just now.
>>
>> Or am I missing your point?
> I might be missing the point; but why did Joel have a talk if it's all
> default on?

It was not default on until recently for Intel ChromeOS devices. Also, my talk
is much more than just idle-ticks/NOCB. I am talking about delaying grace
periods by long amounts of times using various techniques, with data to show
improvements, and new tool rcutop to show the problems :-) The discussion of
ticks which disturb idle was more for background information for the audience
(Sorry if I was not clear about that).

thanks,

- Joel

2022-09-16 08:15:27

by Paul E. McKenney

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 12:30:34AM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 12:14:27PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > afair that's idle and that is not nohz.
> >
> > For nohz_full CPUs, it does both.
>
> Normal people don't have nohz_full cpus (and shouldn't want any).

To the best of my knowledge at this point in time, agreed. Who knows
what someone will come up with next week? But for people running certain
types of real-time and HPC workloads, context tracking really does handle
both idle and userspace transitions.

> > > Because that nocb stuff isn't default enabled?
> >
> > Last I checked, both RHEL and Fedora were built with CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU=y.
> > And I checked Fedora just now.
> >
> > Or am I missing your point?
>
> I might be missing the point; but why did Joel have a talk if it's all
> default on?

It wasn't enabled for ChromeOS.

When fully enabled, it gave them the energy-efficiency advantages Joel
described. And then Joel described some additional call_rcu_lazy()
changes that provided even better energy efficiency. Though I believe
that the application should also be changed to avoid incessantly opening
and closing that file while the device is idle, as this would remove
-all- RCU work when nearly idle. But some of the other call_rcu_lazy()
use cases would likely remain.

If someone believes that their workload would benefit similarly and they
are running Fedora or RHEL (and last I knew, the SUSE distros as well),
then they can boot with rcu_nocbs=0-N and try it out. No need to further
change RCU until proven otherwise.

Thanx, Paul

2022-09-16 09:44:31

by Peter Zijlstra

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 12:58:17AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge at this point in time, agreed. Who knows
> what someone will come up with next week? But for people running certain
> types of real-time and HPC workloads, context tracking really does handle
> both idle and userspace transitions.

Sure, but idle != nohz. Nohz is where we disable the tick, and currently
RCU can inhibit this -- rcu_needs_cpu().

AFAICT there really isn't an RCU hook for this, not through context
tracking not through anything else.

> It wasn't enabled for ChromeOS.
>
> When fully enabled, it gave them the energy-efficiency advantages Joel
> described. And then Joel described some additional call_rcu_lazy()
> changes that provided even better energy efficiency. Though I believe
> that the application should also be changed to avoid incessantly opening
> and closing that file while the device is idle, as this would remove
> -all- RCU work when nearly idle. But some of the other call_rcu_lazy()
> use cases would likely remain.

So I'm thinking the scheme I outlined gets you most if not all of what
lazy would get you without having to add the lazy thing. A CPU is never
refused deep idle when it passes off the callbacks.

The NOHZ thing is a nice hook for 'this-cpu-wants-to-go-idle-long-term'
and do our utmost bestest to move work away from it. You *want* to break
affinity at this point.

If you hate on the global, push it to a per rcu_node offload list until
the whole node is idle and then push it up the next rcu_node level until
you reach the top.

Then when the top rcu_node is full idle; you can insta progress the QS
state and run the callbacks and go idle.

2022-09-16 18:27:42

by Joel Fernandes

Hi Peter,

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 5:20 AM Peter Zijlstra <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]
> > It wasn't enabled for ChromeOS.
> >
> > When fully enabled, it gave them the energy-efficiency advantages Joel
> > described. And then Joel described some additional call_rcu_lazy()
> > changes that provided even better energy efficiency. Though I believe
> > that the application should also be changed to avoid incessantly opening
> > and closing that file while the device is idle, as this would remove
> > -all- RCU work when nearly idle. But some of the other call_rcu_lazy()
> > use cases would likely remain.
>
> So I'm thinking the scheme I outlined gets you most if not all of what
> lazy would get you without having to add the lazy thing. A CPU is never
> refused deep idle when it passes off the callbacks.
>
> The NOHZ thing is a nice hook for 'this-cpu-wants-to-go-idle-long-term'
> and do our utmost bestest to move work away from it. You *want* to break
> affinity at this point.
>
> If you hate on the global, push it to a per rcu_node offload list until
> the whole node is idle and then push it up the next rcu_node level until
> you reach the top.
>
> Then when the top rcu_node is full idle; you can insta progress the QS
> state and run the callbacks and go idle.

In my opinion the speed brakes have to be applied before the GP and
other threads are even awakened. The issue Android and ChromeOS
observe is that even a single CB queued every few jiffies can cause
work that can be otherwise delayed / batched, to be scheduled in. I am
not sure if your suggestions above address that. Does it?

Try this experiment on your ADL system (for fun). Boot to the login
screen on any distro, and before logging in, run turbostat over ssh
and observe PC8 percent residencies. Now increase
jiffies_till_first_fqs boot parameter value to 64 or so and try again.
You may be surprised how much PC8 percent increases by delaying RCU
and batching callbacks (via jiffies boot option) Admittedly this is
more amplified on ADL because of package-C-states, firmware and what
not, and isn’t as much a problem on Android; but still gives a nice
power improvement there.

thanks,

- Joel

2022-09-17 13:56:47

by Peter Zijlstra

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 02:11:10PM -0400, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 5:20 AM Peter Zijlstra <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
> > > It wasn't enabled for ChromeOS.
> > >
> > > When fully enabled, it gave them the energy-efficiency advantages Joel
> > > described. And then Joel described some additional call_rcu_lazy()
> > > changes that provided even better energy efficiency. Though I believe
> > > that the application should also be changed to avoid incessantly opening
> > > and closing that file while the device is idle, as this would remove
> > > -all- RCU work when nearly idle. But some of the other call_rcu_lazy()
> > > use cases would likely remain.
> >
> > So I'm thinking the scheme I outlined gets you most if not all of what
> > lazy would get you without having to add the lazy thing. A CPU is never
> > refused deep idle when it passes off the callbacks.
> >
> > The NOHZ thing is a nice hook for 'this-cpu-wants-to-go-idle-long-term'
> > and do our utmost bestest to move work away from it. You *want* to break
> > affinity at this point.
> >
> > If you hate on the global, push it to a per rcu_node offload list until
> > the whole node is idle and then push it up the next rcu_node level until
> > you reach the top.
> >
> > Then when the top rcu_node is full idle; you can insta progress the QS
> > state and run the callbacks and go idle.
>
> In my opinion the speed brakes have to be applied before the GP and
> other threads are even awakened. The issue Android and ChromeOS
> observe is that even a single CB queued every few jiffies can cause
> work that can be otherwise delayed / batched, to be scheduled in. I am
> not sure if your suggestions above address that. Does it?

Scheduled how? Is this callbacks doing queue_work() or something?

Anyway; the thinking is that by passing off the callbacks on NOHZ, the
idle CPUs stay idle. By running the callbacks before going full idle,
all work is done and you can stay idle longer.

> Try this experiment on your ADL system (for fun). Boot to the login
> screen on any distro,

All my dev boxes are headless :-) I don't thinkt he ADL even has X or
wayland installed.

> and before logging in, run turbostat over ssh
> and observe PC8 percent residencies. Now increase
> jiffies_till_first_fqs boot parameter value to 64 or so and try again.
> You may be surprised how much PC8 percent increases by delaying RCU
> and batching callbacks (via jiffies boot option) Admittedly this is
> more amplified on ADL because of package-C-states, firmware and what
> not, and isn’t as much a problem on Android; but still gives a nice
> power improvement there.

I can try; but as of now turbostat doesn't seem to work on that thing at
all. I think localyesconfig might've stripped a required bit. I'll poke
at it later.

2022-09-17 14:48:45

by Paul E. McKenney

On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 09:52:49AM -0400, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> On 9/17/2022 9:35 AM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 02:11:10PM -0400, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> >> Hi Peter,
> >>
> >> On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 5:20 AM Peter Zijlstra <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> In my opinion the speed brakes have to be applied before the GP and
> >> other threads are even awakened. The issue Android and ChromeOS
> >> observe is that even a single CB queued every few jiffies can cause
> >> work that can be otherwise delayed / batched, to be scheduled in. I am
> >> not sure if your suggestions above address that. Does it?
> >
> > Scheduled how? Is this callbacks doing queue_work() or something?
>
> Way before the callback is even ready to execute, you can rcuog, rcuop,
> rcu_preempt threads running to go through the grace period state machine.
>
> > Anyway; the thinking is that by passing off the callbacks on NOHZ, the
> > idle CPUs stay idle. By running the callbacks before going full idle,
> > all work is done and you can stay idle longer.
>
> But all CPUs idle does not mean grace period is over, you can have a task (at
> least on PREEMPT_RT) block in the middle of an RCU read-side critical section
> and then all CPUs go idle.
>
> Other than that, a typical flow could look like:
>
> 1. CPU queues a callback.
> 2. CPU then goes idle.
> 3. Another CPU is running the RCU threads waking up otherwise idle CPUs.
> 4. Grace period completes and an RCU thread runs a callback.
>
> >> Try this experiment on your ADL system (for fun). Boot to the login
> >> screen on any distro,
> >
> > All my dev boxes are headless :-) I don't thinkt he ADL even has X or
> > wayland installed.
>
> Ah, ok. Maybe what you have (like daemons) are already requesting RCU for
> something. Android folks had some logger requesting RCU all the time.
>
> >> and before logging in, run turbostat over ssh
> >> and observe PC8 percent residencies. Now increase
> >> jiffies_till_first_fqs boot parameter value to 64 or so and try again.
> >> You may be surprised how much PC8 percent increases by delaying RCU
> >> and batching callbacks (via jiffies boot option) Admittedly this is
> >> more amplified on ADL because of package-C-states, firmware and what
> >> not, and isn’t as much a problem on Android; but still gives a nice
> >> power improvement there.
> >
> > I can try; but as of now turbostat doesn't seem to work on that thing at
> > all. I think localyesconfig might've stripped a required bit. I'll poke
> > at it later.
>
> Cool! I believe Len Brown can help on that , or maybe there is another way you
> can read the counters to figure out the PC8% and RAPL power.

Whatever the evaluation scheme, it absolutely -must- measure real power
consumed by real hardware running some real-world workload compared to
Joel et al.'s scheme, or I will cheerfully ignore it. ;-)

Thanx, Paul

2022-09-17 14:50:57

by Joel Fernandes

> [...]

something. Android folks had some logger requesting RCU all the time.

>> and before logging in, run turbostat over ssh
>> and observe PC8 percent residencies. Now increase
>> jiffies_till_first_fqs boot parameter value to 64 or so and try again.
>> You may be surprised how much PC8 percent increases by delaying RCU
>> and batching callbacks (via jiffies boot option) Admittedly this is
>> more amplified on ADL because of package-C-states, firmware and what
>> not, and isn’t as much a problem on Android; but still gives a nice
>> power improvement there.
>
> I can try; but as of now turbostat doesn't seem to work on that thing at
> all. I think localyesconfig might've stripped a required bit. I'll poke
> at it later.

Cool! I believe Len Brown can help on that , or maybe there is another way you
can read the counters to figure out the PC8% and RAPL power.

2022-09-17 15:34:51

by Paul E. McKenney

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 11:20:14AM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 12:58:17AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
>
> > To the best of my knowledge at this point in time, agreed. Who knows
> > what someone will come up with next week? But for people running certain
> > types of real-time and HPC workloads, context tracking really does handle
> > both idle and userspace transitions.
>
> Sure, but idle != nohz. Nohz is where we disable the tick, and currently
> RCU can inhibit this -- rcu_needs_cpu().

Exactly. For non-nohz userspace execution, the tick is still running
anyway, so RCU of course won't be inhibiting its disabling. And in that
case, RCU's hook is the tick interrupt itself. RCU's hook is passed a
flag saying whether the interrupt came from userspace or from kernel.

> AFAICT there really isn't an RCU hook for this, not through context
> tracking not through anything else.

There is a directly invoked RCU hook for any transition that enables or
disables the tick, namely the ct_*_enter() and ct_*_exit() functions,
that is, those functions formerly known as rcu_*_enter() and rcu_*_exit().

> > It wasn't enabled for ChromeOS.
> >
> > When fully enabled, it gave them the energy-efficiency advantages Joel
> > described. And then Joel described some additional call_rcu_lazy()
> > changes that provided even better energy efficiency. Though I believe
> > that the application should also be changed to avoid incessantly opening
> > and closing that file while the device is idle, as this would remove
> > -all- RCU work when nearly idle. But some of the other call_rcu_lazy()
> > use cases would likely remain.
>
> So I'm thinking the scheme I outlined gets you most if not all of what
> lazy would get you without having to add the lazy thing. A CPU is never
> refused deep idle when it passes off the callbacks.
>
> The NOHZ thing is a nice hook for 'this-cpu-wants-to-go-idle-long-term'
> and do our utmost bestest to move work away from it. You *want* to break
> affinity at this point.
>
> If you hate on the global, push it to a per rcu_node offload list until
> the whole node is idle and then push it up the next rcu_node level until
> you reach the top.
>
> Then when the top rcu_node is full idle; you can insta progress the QS
> state and run the callbacks and go idle.

Unfortunately, the overhead of doing all that tracking along with
resolving all the resulting race conditions will -increase- power
consumption. With RCU, counting CPU wakeups is not as good a predictor
of power consumption as one might like. Sure, it is a nice heuristic
in some cases, but with RCU it is absolutely -not- a replacement for
actually measuring power consumption on real hardware. And yes, I did
learn this the hard way. Why do you ask? ;-)

And that is why the recently removed CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ left the
callbacks in place and substituted a 4x slower timer for the tick.
-That- actually resulted in significant real measured power savings on
real hardware.

Except that everything that was building with CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ
was also doing nohz_full on each and every CPU. Which meant that all
that CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ was doing for them was adding an additional
useless check on each transition to and from idle. Which in turn is why
CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ was removed. No one was using it in any way that
made any sense.

And more recent testing with rcu_nocbs on both ChromeOS and Android has
produced better savings than was produced by CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ anyway.

Much of the additional savings from Joel et al.'s work is not so much
from reducing the number of ticks, but rather from reducing the number
of grace periods, which are of course much heavier weight.

And this of course means that any additional schemes to reduce RCU's
power consumption must be compared (with real measurements on real
hardware!) to Joel et al.'s work, whether in combination or as an
alternative. And either way, the power savings must of course justify
the added code and complexity.

Thanx, Paul

2022-09-21 21:52:12

by Paul E. McKenney

On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 07:25:08AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> [...]
> that CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ was doing for them was adding an additional
> useless check on each transition to and from idle. Which in turn is why
> CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ was removed. No one was using it in any way that
> made any sense.
>
> And more recent testing with rcu_nocbs on both ChromeOS and Android has
> produced better savings than was produced by CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ anyway.
>
> Much of the additional savings from Joel et al.'s work is not so much
> from reducing the number of ticks, but rather from reducing the number
> of grace periods, which are of course much heavier weight.
>
> And this of course means that any additional schemes to reduce RCU's
> power consumption must be compared (with real measurements on real
> hardware!) to Joel et al.'s work, whether in combination or as an
> alternative. And either way, the power savings must of course justify

And here is an untested patch that in theory might allow much of the
reduction in power with minimal complexity/overhead for kernels without
rcu_nocbs CPUs. On the off-chance you know of someone who would be
willing to do a realistic evaluation of it.

Thanx, Paul

commit 80fc02e80a2dfb6c7468217cff2d4494a1c4b58d