2002-10-05 05:07:05

by Milton D. Miller II

Subject: initramfs work

Al,
Is there somewhere one could see what you are planning to merge?

I was following the klibc dicussion list, but the archiver went slient after
August.

I like the idea in general, but I wasn't sure where this was going. It
looked like the discussion there was going for replacing the do_mounts with
the kernel uncpio/uncompress followed by a bunch of small utilities and
scripts. I had some other ideas that I played with, but depend on starting
with a single binary to make a lot of sense (going for the multi-call binary
base approach). (This would leave the initrd file for the user space).

If there is some place to get a preview I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
milton

2002-10-05 07:46:08

by H. Peter Anvin

By author: "Milton D. Miller II" <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Al,
> Is there somewhere one could see what you are planning to merge?
>
> I was following the klibc dicussion list, but the archiver went slient after
> August.
>
> I like the idea in general, but I wasn't sure where this was going. It
> looked like the discussion there was going for replacing the do_mounts with
> the kernel uncpio/uncompress followed by a bunch of small utilities and
> scripts. I had some other ideas that I played with, but depend on starting
> with a single binary to make a lot of sense (going for the multi-call binary
> base approach). (This would leave the initrd file for the user space).
>
> If there is some place to get a preview I would appreciate it.

The next step is to get it all merged into the kernel tree.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <[email protected]>