2020-04-28 04:47:16

by Alexander Dahl

Subject: New Wiki URLs?

Hello,

I noticed the kernel wiki URLs might have changed. The URLs now are
like this:

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/b43

However in the kernel source code and in the kernel log output you
find something like this:

b43-phy1 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and do
wnload the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this
website.

(Notice the additional subdomain and the case change in the resource
path.)

Some websites seem to link on those old URLs, see
https://packages.debian.org/source/buster/b43-fwcutter for example.

Could the webmasters of kernel.org please configure some kind of
redirects so people don't get 404 errors when looking for docs?

Bonus question: would it make sense to change all those URLs in the
source (as in: send patches for that)? Then what URLs are supposed to
be the right ones now?

Kind regards
Alex

--
/"\ ASCII RIBBON | ?With the first link, the chain is forged. The first
\ / CAMPAIGN | speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.25 kB)
signature.asc (849.00 B)

by Randy Dunlap

Subject: Re: New Wiki URLs?

[adding people + linux-wireless@ ]

Should we assume that the current wireless wiki URLs are more or less
permanent and so update lots of outdated references to them?

I see that the MAINTAINERS file is already updated.

Plus there is a request for redirects @kernel.org.

--
~Randy

2020-05-08 20:31:24

by Konstantin Ryabitsev

Subject: Re: [sysadmin] New Wiki URLs?

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 06:44:40AM +0200, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> Could the webmasters of kernel.org please configure some kind of
> redirects so people don't get 404 errors when looking for docs?

If someone goes through the trouble of compiling a list of such
redirects, then perhaps. The previous site (wireless.kernel.org) was not
maintained by the Linux Foundation, so we don't have any kind of
definitive mapping of old URLs to new URLs.

Regards,
-K

Attachments:
(No filename) (471.00 B)