2021-05-27 06:27:58

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the hid tree

Hi all,

After merging the hid tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
modules_install (on an allmodconfig build)) failed like this:

depmod: ERROR: Cycle detected: hid -> usbhid -> hid
depmod: ERROR: Found 2 modules in dependency cycles!

I could not easily figure out what caused this (it may not be the hid
tree, but probably is), so all I could do was leave it broken.

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2021-05-27 08:17:57

by Jiri Kosina

On Thu, 27 May 2021, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> After merging the hid tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> modules_install (on an allmodconfig build)) failed like this:
>
> depmod: ERROR: Cycle detected: hid -> usbhid -> hid
> depmod: ERROR: Found 2 modules in dependency cycles!
>
> I could not easily figure out what caused this (it may not be the hid
> tree, but probably is), so all I could do was leave it broken.

This is caused by Hans' patches (CCed). I will be dropping those today, as
the proper fix needs a bit more of rework.

Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

2021-05-27 13:24:36

by Naresh Kamboju

FYI,

On Thu, 27 May 2021 at 13:56, Hans de Goede <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 5/27/21 10:14 AM, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 May 2021, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >
> >> After merging the hid tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> >> modules_install (on an allmodconfig build)) failed like this:
> >>
> >> depmod: ERROR: Cycle detected: hid -> usbhid -> hid
> >> depmod: ERROR: Found 2 modules in dependency cycles!

LKFT build system also found two types of build errors while building for arm
on today's Linux next-20210527 tag.

1)
arm-linux-gnueabihf-ld: drivers/hid/hid-core.o: in function `hid_is_usb_device':
hid-core.c:(.text+0x1f4): undefined reference to `usb_hid_driver'
make[1]: *** [/builds/linux/Makefile:1252: vmlinux] Error 1

2)
INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/home/tuxbuild/.cache/tuxmake/builds/current/modinstall
depmod: ERROR: Cycle detected: hid -> usbhid -> hid
depmod: ERROR: Found 2 modules in dependency cycles!
make[1]: *** [/builds/linux/Makefile:1875: modules_install] Error 1

> >> I could not easily figure out what caused this (it may not be the hid
> >> tree, but probably is), so all I could do was leave it broken.
> >
> > This is caused by Hans' patches (CCed). I will be dropping those today, as
> > the proper fix needs a bit more of rework.
>
> Ack, sorry about the trouble these patches are causing.

Thanks for investigating the root cause.

- Naresh

2021-05-27 13:45:02

by Jiri Kosina

On Thu, 27 May 2021, Hans de Goede wrote:

> >> After merging the hid tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> >> modules_install (on an allmodconfig build)) failed like this:
> >>
> >> depmod: ERROR: Cycle detected: hid -> usbhid -> hid
> >> depmod: ERROR: Found 2 modules in dependency cycles!
> >>
> >> I could not easily figure out what caused this (it may not be the hid
> >> tree, but probably is), so all I could do was leave it broken.
> >
> > This is caused by Hans' patches (CCed). I will be dropping those today, as
> > the proper fix needs a bit more of rework.
>
> Ack, sorry about the trouble these patches are causing.

for-next has now been rebased with the three relevant commits removed.

Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

2021-05-27 15:08:18

by Hans de Goede

Hi,

On 5/27/21 10:14 AM, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2021, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>
>> After merging the hid tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
>> modules_install (on an allmodconfig build)) failed like this:
>>
>> depmod: ERROR: Cycle detected: hid -> usbhid -> hid
>> depmod: ERROR: Found 2 modules in dependency cycles!
>>
>> I could not easily figure out what caused this (it may not be the hid
>> tree, but probably is), so all I could do was leave it broken.
>
> This is caused by Hans' patches (CCed). I will be dropping those today, as
> the proper fix needs a bit more of rework.

Ack, sorry about the trouble these patches are causing.

Regards,

Hans