2000-11-01 19:59:29

by Michael Rothwell

Subject: working userspace nfs v3 for linux?

Is there a working userspace nfs v3 server for linux?

-M

2000-11-01 20:53:14

by Andi Kleen

Subject: Re: working userspace nfs v3 for linux?

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 02:59:05PM -0500, Michael Rothwell wrote:
> Is there a working userspace nfs v3 server for linux?

Yes, just install user mode linux and use its v3 knfsd server.

-Andi

2000-11-01 21:03:36

by Michael Rothwell

Andi Kleen wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 02:59:05PM -0500, Michael Rothwell wrote:
> > Is there a working userspace nfs v3 server for linux?
>
> Yes, just install user mode linux and use its v3 knfsd server.

Does anyone have any suggestions that aren't jokes, don't require a 2.4
kernel and will work?

2000-11-01 22:51:31

by wnoise

On Wed, 01 Nov 2000 Michael Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Andi Kleen wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 02:59:05PM -0500, Michael Rothwell wrote:
> > > Is there a working userspace nfs v3 server for linux?
> >
> > Yes, just install user mode linux and use its v3 knfsd server.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions that aren't jokes, don't require a 2.4
> kernel and will work?

Well, given that this is linux-*kernel* mailing list, the answer
seems appropriate.

You didn't say you couldn't use 2.4. And anyway, UML runs under the
latest 2.2 kernels.

Was it a joke? Well, maybe. Networking isn't UML's strong point.

I am not aware of any userspace NFSv3 server. Your best bet would
probably to take the v2 server and mutate it. Why do you want this beast?

--
Aaron Denney
-><-

2000-11-01 23:51:45

by Michael Rothwell

Aaron Denney wrote:
> I am not aware of any userspace NFSv3 server. Your best bet would
> probably to take the v2 server and mutate it. Why do you want this beast?

So I can use Linux rather than Solaris 7 and the Solstice Disk Suite,
which performs like crap thanks to UFS, and the Linux NFS v2
implementation.

-M

2000-11-02 00:02:16

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <[email protected]>
By author: Michael Rothwell <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Aaron Denney wrote:
> > I am not aware of any userspace NFSv3 server. Your best bet would
> > probably to take the v2 server and mutate it. Why do you want this beast?
>
> So I can use Linux rather than Solaris 7 and the Solstice Disk Suite,
> which performs like crap thanks to UFS, and the Linux NFS v2
> implementation.

The point is, why not use knfsd.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt

2000-11-02 00:28:08

by David Weinehall

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 06:33:34PM -0500, Michael Rothwell wrote:
> Aaron Denney wrote:
> > I am not aware of any userspace NFSv3 server. Your best bet would
> > probably to take the v2 server and mutate it. Why do you want this beast?
>
> So I can use Linux rather than Solaris 7 and the Solstice Disk Suite,
> which performs like crap thanks to UFS, and the Linux NFS v2
> implementation.

Yes, but why do you need a userspace NFSv3 server? v2.2.18 will contain
knfsdv3, shouldn't this be good enough?

/David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <[email protected]> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

2000-11-03 23:20:52

by Horst von Brand

Michael Rothwell <[email protected]> said:
> Andi Kleen wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 02:59:05PM -0500, Michael Rothwell wrote:
> > > Is there a working userspace nfs v3 server for linux?

> > Yes, just install user mode linux and use its v3 knfsd server.

> Does anyone have any suggestions that aren't jokes, don't require a 2.4
> kernel and will work?

2.2.18pre18 in-kernel NFSv3 (client and server) appears to work against
Solaris 2.6 (light testing with nfs-utils-2.1.1)
--
Horst von Brand [email protected]
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616