2000-11-07 00:22:56

by Erik Mouw

Subject: PCI oddness with Ali 1541 chipset

Hi,

I'm running 2.4.0-test10 on my desktop machine. The system works
perfectly well, but I get some strange PCI messages at boot time. Here
is part it:

PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf0560, last bus=1
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Unknown bridge resource 0: assuming transparent
Unknown bridge resource 1: assuming transparent
Unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
PCI: Using IRQ router ALI [10b9/1533] at 00:07.0

I don't know what kind of bridge resources these are. A little bit
furthur, the IDE controller gets detected:

ALI15X3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 78
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:0f.0. Please try using pci=biosirq.
ALI15X3: chipset revision 193

I tried "pci=biosirq", but that didn't make any difference. I don't
know if this is related with the unknown bridge resources earlier.

After booting, the IDE controller uses IRQ 14 and 15, but lscpi says
that the IDE controller has pin A routed to IRQ 0. What's going wrong
over here, or is this just normal behaviour?

Short description of the system: K6-II@333MHz, 160MB memory, Asus P5A
motherboard (Ali 1541 chipset), Debian GNU/Linux 2.2. I attached the
config file, the boot messages, and the output of "lspci -vvvx".

Erik

Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635 Fax: +31-15-2781843 Email: [email protected]

config (19.35 kB)
dmesg.txt (5.20 kB)
lspci.txt (6.97 kB)

by reneb

Subject: Re: PCI oddness with Ali 1541 chipset

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000 01:22:06 +0100, Erik Mouw <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm running 2.4.0-test10 on my desktop machine. The system works
>perfectly well, but I get some strange PCI messages at boot time. Here
>is part it:
I've the same motherboard
part of my syslog:
orac kernel: ALI15X3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 78
orac kernel: PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:0f.0.
orac kernel: ALI15X3: chipset revision 193
orac kernel: ALI15X3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
But then:
orac kernel: trident: unable to allocate irq 0
orac modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
orac modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-0
amd there isn't any sound anymore!!
It was a nice working Trident Microsystems 4DWave DX (rev 01)
in pre-10
-
Groeten / Regards, Rene Blokland -o)
1073KA 13ii the Netherlands /\\
Microsoft - "Creative non-fulfilment of your lowest expectations" _\_v