2002-09-26 07:51:48

by Michael Clark

Subject: Re: 2.4.19pre10aa4 OOPS in ext3 (get_hash_table, unmap_underlying_metadata)

On 09/26/02 15:27, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Michael Clark wrote:
>
>>Hiya,
>>
>>Been having frequent (every 4-8 days) oopses with 2.4.19pre10aa4 on
>>a moderately loaded server (100 users - 0.4 load avg).
>>
>>The server is a Intel STL2 with dual P3, 1GB RAM, Intel Pro1000T
>>and Qlogic 2300 Fibre channel HBA.
>>
>>We are running qla2300, e1000 and lvm modules unmodified as present in
>>2.4.19pre10aa4. We also have quotas enabled on 1 of the ext3 fs.
>>

> It's not familiar, sorry.

Maybe I should try XFS? I've heard of people running this for
80+ days and no downtime. I really would like to get past 8 days.

> People are saying unkind things about the qlogic driver, and

Yes i know. My experience seems to be bad fault recovery after
a LIP reset although the driver in 2.4.19pre10aa4 seems okay
(have tested loop interruption under IO heavy load).

> the new version in Andrea's latest patchset is definitely
> faster than before. Might be worth a shot.

So, is possible for qlogic driver to be doing naughty things
with bufferheads? or is it more likely in the fs?

Anyone out there running a reasonably busy fileserver with
qlogic FC HBA and using ext3 or XFS with quotas? What
kernel/qlogic driver combo?

~mc

2002-09-26 09:16:55

by Mario Mikocevic

Hi,

slightly trimmed,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 03:56:56PM +0800, Michael Clark wrote:
> On 09/26/02 15:27, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> >People are saying unkind things about the qlogic driver, and
>
> Yes i know. My experience seems to be bad fault recovery after
> a LIP reset although the driver in 2.4.19pre10aa4 seems okay
> (have tested loop interruption under IO heavy load).
>
> >the new version in Andrea's latest patchset is definitely
> >faster than before. Might be worth a shot.
>
> So, is possible for qlogic driver to be doing naughty things
> with bufferheads? or is it more likely in the fs?
>
> Anyone out there running a reasonably busy fileserver with
> qlogic FC HBA and using ext3 or XFS with quotas? What
> kernel/qlogic driver combo?

# w
11:06am up 159 days, 12:01, 1 user, load average: 4.22, 3.41, 3.53
# uname -r
2.4.18

ext3 partition on SAN connected through _two_ qla2200 HBAs and onto _two_
FC switches with qla2200phase1.tar.gz driver from Arjan van de Ven.
(the _only_ driver that works with MULTIPATH)

--
Mario Miko?evi? (Mozgy)
mozgy at hinet dot hr