2002-10-02 09:16:21

by Antti Tuominen

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: [PATCH] Mobile IPv6 for 2.5.40 (request for kernel inclusion)

Hello Dave, Alexey, and all,

I am part of the MIPL Mobile IPv6 for Linux Team at Helsinki
University of Technology, and we have been working on an
implementation of Mobility Support in IPv6 specification for the past
3 years. Now the code has matured to the point, that we feel
confident enough to ask for kernel inclusion.

Our implementation has been to several interop and conformance testing
events, and has proven to be very compliant and to interoperate with
all major vendors' implementations. Code has been tested on several
UP and SMP configurations, and performs quite well.

Implementation consists of two kernel modules, changes to IPv6 stack,
and userspace configuration tools. First module provides support for
6over6 (IPv6 in IPv6) tunneling. Second module is the Mobile IPv6
module, and adds support for Mobile IPv6 Correspondent Node, Mobile
Node, and Home Agent. IPv6 stack has been modified to provide some
MIPv6 mandated features as well as hooks to our module.

Latest code for 2.5 series can be pulled from our public BitKeeper
repository (parent is http://linux.bkbits.net/linux-2.5):
bk://bk.mipl.mediapoli.com/linux25-mipl

Diff against latest BK bits can be downloaded from:
http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com/download/linux-2.5+mipv6.diff

Latest userspace tools are found at:
bk://bk.mipl.mediapoli.com/mipv6-tools

More information of the project can be found at our website:
http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com/

The team continues the development work to have fully RFC compliant
(when the specification moves to RFC) implementation of Mobile IPv6 in
the Linux kernel, as well as work on improving the code.

On behalf of the MIPL Team,

Antti Tuominen

--
Antti J. Tuominen, Gyldenintie 8A 11, 00200 Helsinki, Finland.
Research assistant, Institute of Digital Communications at HUT
work: [email protected]; home: [email protected]


2002-10-02 09:20:39

by Pekka Savola

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: [PATCH] Mobile IPv6 for 2.5.40 (request for kernel inclusion)

I believe MIPL implements an old version of MIPv6 (draft -15 or so).

Or do you support -18 ?

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Antti Tuominen wrote:
> Hello Dave, Alexey, and all,
>
> I am part of the MIPL Mobile IPv6 for Linux Team at Helsinki
> University of Technology, and we have been working on an
> implementation of Mobility Support in IPv6 specification for the past
> 3 years. Now the code has matured to the point, that we feel
> confident enough to ask for kernel inclusion.
>
> Our implementation has been to several interop and conformance testing
> events, and has proven to be very compliant and to interoperate with
> all major vendors' implementations. Code has been tested on several
> UP and SMP configurations, and performs quite well.
>
> Implementation consists of two kernel modules, changes to IPv6 stack,
> and userspace configuration tools. First module provides support for
> 6over6 (IPv6 in IPv6) tunneling. Second module is the Mobile IPv6
> module, and adds support for Mobile IPv6 Correspondent Node, Mobile
> Node, and Home Agent. IPv6 stack has been modified to provide some
> MIPv6 mandated features as well as hooks to our module.
>
> Latest code for 2.5 series can be pulled from our public BitKeeper
> repository (parent is http://linux.bkbits.net/linux-2.5):
> bk://bk.mipl.mediapoli.com/linux25-mipl
>
> Diff against latest BK bits can be downloaded from:
> http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com/download/linux-2.5+mipv6.diff
>
> Latest userspace tools are found at:
> bk://bk.mipl.mediapoli.com/mipv6-tools
>
> More information of the project can be found at our website:
> http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com/
>
> The team continues the development work to have fully RFC compliant
> (when the specification moves to RFC) implementation of Mobile IPv6 in
> the Linux kernel, as well as work on improving the code.
>
> On behalf of the MIPL Team,
>
> Antti Tuominen
>
>

--
Pekka Savola "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security. -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

Subject: Re: [PATCH] Mobile IPv6 for 2.5.40 (request for kernel inclusion)

In article <[email protected]> (at Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:25:37 +0300 (EEST)), Pekka Savola <[email protected]> says:

> I believe MIPL implements an old version of MIPv6 (draft -15 or so).
>
> Or do you support -18 ?

We believe we should do -18, not -15 at all.

--yoshfuji

2002-10-02 09:28:15

by Pekka Savola

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: [PATCH] Mobile IPv6 for 2.5.40 (request for kernel inclusion)

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / [iso-2022-jp] $B5HF#[email protected](B wrote:
> In article <[email protected]> (at Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:25:37 +0300 (EEST)), Pekka Savola <[email protected]> says:
>
> > I believe MIPL implements an old version of MIPv6 (draft -15 or so).
> >
> > Or do you support -18 ?
>
> We believe we should do -18, not -15 at all.

Well, http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com front page at least refers to -15, but you
should know better :-)

--
Pekka Savola "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security. -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

Subject: Re: [PATCH] Mobile IPv6 for 2.5.40 (request for kernel inclusion)

In article <[email protected]> (at Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:21:11 +0300), Antti Tuominen <[email protected]> says:

> Diff against latest BK bits can be downloaded from:
> http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com/download/linux-2.5+mipv6.diff

% wget http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com/download/linux-2.5+mipv6.diff
--18:45:25-- http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com/download/linux-2.5+mipv6.diff
=> `linux-2.5+mipv6.diff'
Resolving http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com... done.
Connecting to http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com[212.68.2.195]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
18:45:25 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

--
Hideaki YOSHIFUJI @ USAGI Project <[email protected]>
GPG FP: 9022 65EB 1ECF 3AD1 0BDF 80D8 4807 F894 E062 0EEA

Subject: Re: [PATCH] Mobile IPv6 for 2.5.40 (request for kernel inclusion)

In article <[email protected]> (at Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:33:21 +0300 (EEST)), Pekka Savola <[email protected]> says:

> On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / [iso-2022-jp] $B5HF#[email protected](B wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]> (at Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:25:37 +0300 (EEST)), Pekka Savola <[email protected]> says:
> >
> > > I believe MIPL implements an old version of MIPv6 (draft -15 or so).
> > >
> > > Or do you support -18 ?
> >
> > We believe we should do -18, not -15 at all.
>
> Well, http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com front page at least refers to -15, but you
> should know better :-)

I meant, we should go with -18 (or later).
(If the MIPL supports only -15,) -15 is too old.

--yoshfuji

2002-10-02 10:59:02

by Antti Tuominen

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: [PATCH] Mobile IPv6 for 2.5.40 (request for kernel inclusion)

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 06:44:18PM +0900, YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / ?$B5HF#[email protected]?(B wrote:
> In article <[email protected]> (at Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:33:21 +0300 (EEST)), Pekka Savola <[email protected]> says:
>
> > On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / [iso-2022-jp] $B5HF#[email protected](B wrote:
> > > In article <[email protected]> (at Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:25:37 +0300 (EEST)), Pekka Savola <[email protected]> says:
> > >
> > > > I believe MIPL implements an old version of MIPv6 (draft -15 or so).
> > > >
> > > > Or do you support -18 ?
> > >
> > > We believe we should do -18, not -15 at all.
> >
> > Well, http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com front page at least refers to -15, but you
> > should know better :-)
>
> I meant, we should go with -18 (or later).
> (If the MIPL supports only -15,) -15 is too old.

We do support Draft 18 in our development code (tested last week at
ETSI IPv6 Plugtest and mostly working), but since Draft 15 was the
last implementable draft (no _draft_ issues, compared to large number
of inconcistencies and contradictions in draft 18) and we've had time
to test the code properly, we decided to submit working code over
latest code.

Draft 15 based code is tested and works. To get Mobile IPv6 in the
kernel we felt that it is more important to have solid, tested code
rather than our latest devel code for the submission. Of course we
are committed to providing the latest draft revision compliant code
immediately when it's available. But we don't feel draft 18 is the
answer since draft 19 will soon be out and should address rest of the
126 issues raised about drafts 16, 17 and 18.

If the kernel maintainers feel differently, we are happy to provide
you with our latest code implementing most of draft 18.


Regards,

Antti

--
Antti J. Tuominen, Gyldenintie 8A 11, 00200 Helsinki, Finland.
Research assistant, Institute of Digital Communications at HUT
work: [email protected]; home: [email protected]

2002-10-02 11:03:11

by Antti Tuominen

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: [PATCH] Mobile IPv6 for 2.5.40 (request for kernel inclusion)

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 06:46:07PM +0900, YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / ?$B5HF#[email protected]?(B wrote:
> Resolving http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com... done.
> Connecting to http://www.mipl.mediapoli.com[212.68.2.195]:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
> 18:45:25 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

Sorry about that. Apache had some strange rule denying download of
files with .diff suffix. Now works. Add .gz to the url for gzipped
version.

Regards,

Antti

--
Antti J. Tuominen, Gyldenintie 8A 11, 00200 Helsinki, Finland.
Research assistant, Institute of Digital Communications at HUT
work: [email protected]; home: [email protected]