2002-10-04 18:17:25

by Jeff V. Merkey

Subject: 3DNOW Question/MMX Support in 2.4.X tree

I noticed that the MMX libraries seem tied to CYRIX and AMD builds
in the config scripts. I am wondering if MMX support for Intel
is not supported in 2.4.X kernels except for these processor types.
The code appears to be usable on Intel.

Can someone clarify the MMX support for kernel code in the
current 2.4.X trees and how extensive it is for Intel?

Thanks

Jeff

2002-10-04 18:31:23

by Alan

Subject: Re: 3DNOW Question/MMX Support in 2.4.X tree

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 20:15, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> I noticed that the MMX libraries seem tied to CYRIX and AMD builds
> in the config scripts. I am wondering if MMX support for Intel
> is not supported in 2.4.X kernels except for these processor types.
> The code appears to be usable on Intel.

MMX copies are only a win on some processors, so we only use it in
kernel there. MMX itself works on all processors

2002-10-04 20:03:28

by Jeff V. Merkey

Alan,

Thanks for the prompt response. I will test with P4 and see
how much improvement there is.

:-)

Jeff