2002-10-04 22:49:35

by Matt D. Robinson

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] LKCD for 2.5.40

Hi, all:

These are the patches (9 in all) for the Linux Kernel Crash Dump
modifications for 2.5. This allows crash dumps to be built as a
module in the kernel and also includes a breakdown of a few of the
changes needed in the kernel. The current version will allow for
block dumping, and has the ability to readily integrate network
dumping (a la Red Hat).

The big debatable issue I can see right away is the dump_in_progress
addition to schedule(), which can certainly be moved out or modified
to appease people wanting a tight scheduler loop.

Please accept these patches or provide feedback on how we can
modify them for acceptance. Thanks,

--Matt

2002-10-04 23:42:21

by Randy.Dunlap

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] LKCD for 2.5.40

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Matt D. Robinson wrote:

| These are the patches (9 in all) for the Linux Kernel Crash Dump
| modifications for 2.5. This allows crash dumps to be built as a
| module in the kernel and also includes a breakdown of a few of the
| changes needed in the kernel. The current version will allow for
| block dumping, and has the ability to readily integrate network
| dumping (a la Red Hat).

Hi Matt,

I have a few comments.

| Please accept these patches or provide feedback on how we can
| modify them for acceptance. Thanks,

Who do you want to accept these patches?
If it's Linus, you should send them to him.

Documentation/SubmittingPatches doesn't say so, but lately it's
become quite common and desirable to use diffstat output above
patches to summarize the files modified and how much they are
modified.

Instead of replying to other patches separately, I'll add a few
comments here.

CONFIG_DUMP: I'd prefer to see something a little bit more descriptive,
like CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP or CONFIG_DUMP_KERNEL. Yes, this is minor.
(BTW, I don't like the shortness of CONFIG_TRACE for LTT either. :)

Why are all of the dump_init() and secondary init functions
_not_ marked as __init ?

You shouldn't need to call dump_init() explicitly since you use
module_init(dump_init);
Oh, I see, you call dump_init() for built-into-kernel but use
#ifdef MODULE
to surround lots of MODULE_xyz() lines.
You shouldn't surround the MODULE_xyz() lines like that,
they should always be present for MODULE or not,
and you should just use the module_init(dump_init) always to
initialize.

--
~Randy

2002-10-05 01:08:12

by Matt D. Robinson

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
|>On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Matt D. Robinson wrote:
|>| These are the patches (9 in all) for the Linux Kernel Crash Dump
|>| modifications for 2.5. This allows crash dumps to be built as a
|>| module in the kernel and also includes a breakdown of a few of the
|>| changes needed in the kernel. The current version will allow for
|>| block dumping, and has the ability to readily integrate network
|>| dumping (a la Red Hat).
|>
|>Hi Matt,
|>
|>I have a few comments.
|>
|>| Please accept these patches or provide feedback on how we can
|>| modify them for acceptance. Thanks,
|>
|>Who do you want to accept these patches?
|>If it's Linus, you should send them to him.

They're on the way (or will be later tonight after putting in
your requested changes).

|>Documentation/SubmittingPatches doesn't say so, but lately it's
|>become quite common and desirable to use diffstat output above
|>patches to summarize the files modified and how much they are
|>modified.

Okay, can do.

|>Instead of replying to other patches separately, I'll add a few
|>comments here.
|>
|>CONFIG_DUMP: I'd prefer to see something a little bit more descriptive,
|>like CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP or CONFIG_DUMP_KERNEL. Yes, this is minor.
|>(BTW, I don't like the shortness of CONFIG_TRACE for LTT either. :)

That's a fairly easy change. CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP is better over
the long run. I'll preface all the CONFIG_??* values. It really
doesn't matter one way or the other to me.

|>Why are all of the dump_init() and secondary init functions
|>_not_ marked as __init ?
|>
|>You shouldn't need to call dump_init() explicitly since you use
|>module_init(dump_init);
|>Oh, I see, you call dump_init() for built-into-kernel but use
|>#ifdef MODULE
|>to surround lots of MODULE_xyz() lines.
|>You shouldn't surround the MODULE_xyz() lines like that,
|>they should always be present for MODULE or not,
|>and you should just use the module_init(dump_init) always to
|>initialize.

Okay, simple enough to fix.

Thanks, Randy, I'll start incorporating those for Linus.

--Matt