2002-10-08 17:46:49

by Holzrichter, Bruce

Subject: RE: email I received

> I recently got an email from some one with a windows binary file
> attached it seems to have come from [email protected]
> below is the email (minus the attachment)if anyone could help with
> determining who did this behavior it would be greatly appreciated

This would be the BugBear Virus you received. BugBear is running rampant,
so you'll likely see more from your windows friends.

Check for details on:
http://www.cert.org/current/current_activity.html#W32BugBear

You can rest assured, I bet everyone on the list got it as a consequence of
it being sent to a list address, probably someone has linux-kernel in their
address book, on their windows machine.

Check the e-mail header you posted, and the following IP. That is the
original sender.

> with smtp (Exim 3.35 #1) id 17ygKv-0004kj-00; Tue, 08 Oct 2002
00:26:49
> +0200

Name: pD9512E1F.dip.t-dialin.net
Address: 217.81.46.31