2001-03-11 08:38:18

by ?????i

Subject: About DC-315U scsi driver

Hello All.....

Maybe I post at wrong place.....sorry

The driver has not to be included in officeal kernel.
And the maintainer has not updated the driver from 2.4.0-test9-pre7.
Maybe he is very busy.The last update is 2000-12-03.

I used some kernels from 2.4.0 to 2.4.2-ac17,and the driver always go wrong
when I burn CDRs. Some files burned is different from the origin at HD.
I use 2.2.17 with Tekram's driver,and nothing is wrong.
I think the scsi layer maybe changed from 2.2.x,so the driver cannot run well.
I am sure the hardware&software is ok,and no error messages about scsi found by me.

Can anyone do me a favor to modify the driver in order to suite the
new kernel?

Thanks....

And some resources can be found at http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc395/.

Best Regards,cwz

2001-03-11 23:56:05

by Kurt Garloff

Subject: Re: About DC-315U scsi driver

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 04:37:10PM +0800, ?????i wrote:
> The driver has not to be included in officeal kernel.

Yes, that's what I tell people that ask me to submit the driver from
inclusion. The reason are strange problems, which unfortunately I have not
been able to track down, yet. Fortunately, they don't happen for everyone.
Unfortunately, that means I can't reproduce most of them.

I added quite some debugging feature to the driver, like a complete history
of every SCSI command being kept and output if something goes wrong
(_abort()). I guess, a good chipset docu would give more insight.

> And the maintainer has not updated the driver from 2.4.0-test9-pre7.
> Maybe he is very busy.The last update is 2000-12-03.

I'm quite busy, that's true.
The driver 1.32 (Dec 3 2000) can be used with 2.4.2. Just ignore the
patch rejection in the file MAINTAINERS.

> I used some kernels from 2.4.0 to 2.4.2-ac17,and the driver always go wrong
> when I burn CDRs. Some files burned is different from the origin at HD.
> I use 2.2.17 with Tekram's driver,and nothing is wrong.

Indeed; people report more problems on 2.4 kernels than on 2.2 kernels. I
currently have no clue why.
Anyway, you can use the patch from 1.32 to have the driver integrated in the
2.4 kernel and the use the version from Tekram. (I believe they distribute
my version 1.27, but I didn't check fro quite some time.)
I would like to hear your results.

> I think the scsi layer maybe changed from 2.2.x,so the driver cannot run well.

It did change. For example the way SCSI devices are scanned fro changed from
T_U_R to INQUIRY. However, the driver has been changed to accept that.

> I am sure the hardware&software is ok,and no error messages about scsi
> found by me.
>
> Can anyone do me a favor to modify the driver in order to suite the
> new kernel?

Compiling it should be no problem.
Making it work flawlessly is. I'd like to know as well.

Kurt Garloff <[email protected]> [Eindhoven, NL]
Physics: Plasma simulations <[email protected]> [TU Eindhoven, NL]
Linux: SCSI, Security <[email protected]> [SuSE Nuernberg, FRG]
(See mail header or public key servers for PGP2 and GPG public keys.)

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.18 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Alan

> > when I burn CDRs. Some files burned is different from the origin at HD.
> > I use 2.2.17 with Tekram's driver,and nothing is wrong.
>
> Indeed; people report more problems on 2.4 kernels than on 2.2 kernels. I
> currently have no clue why.

2.4 causes longer continuous I/O requests to be sent to the drive for one

2001-03-13 09:22:59

by Quim K Holland

>> Indeed; people report more problems on 2.4 kernels than on
>> 2.2 kernels. I currently have no clue why.

AC> 2.4 causes longer continuous I/O requests to be sent to the
AC> drive for one

Sorry but I am having a hard time understanding this comment.
Are you saying 2.4 causes applications to send I/O requests
longer than the hardware accepts, and if applications are
properly written they should be able to limit the continuous
requests from the userland (which means it is an application
bug)? Or are you saying 2.4 kernel should not ``cause longer
continuous I/O requests to be sent'' but it ends up doing
so (which means its a kernel bug)?

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/

2001-03-13 11:10:50

by ?????i

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 00:44:01 +0100
Kurt Garloff <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anyway, you can use the patch from 1.32 to have the driver integrated in the
> 2.4 kernel and the use the version from Tekram. (I believe they distribute
> my version 1.27, but I didn't check fro quite some time.)
> I would like to hear your results.

Today I try to recompiler a new kernel with integrated driver. And burn a test
CDR. The errors are still alive.

The Driver from Tekram only support 2.2.x;I think that I cannot use it with
2.4.2,is right?

And I finally understand the readme which you wrote.
(I cannot found README.tmscsim at beginning)
I try to lower the syncspeed, and it still has no help(8Mhz,5Mhz...).

echo "0 0 0 y n n n n n -2 5 " > /proc/scsi/dc395x_trm/0
^=======>>if I lower syncspeed and not set the DsCn=no
the system would halt.

I have no idea about why it is. :( Now burning CDR is a nightmare.

Best Regards,cwz

2001-03-19 18:32:10

by Pierre Etchemaite

Le 13-Mar-2001, ?????i ?crivait :
> Today I try to recompiler a new kernel with integrated driver. And burn a
> test
> CDR. The errors are still alive.

FYI, burning CDRs with this adapter seldom work under Windows too, Tekram
adapters are usually fine, but those DC-315* & DC-395* really look like chip
stuff...

BR,
Pierre.

--
Linux blade.concept-micro.com 2.4.3-pre4 #1 Wed Mar 14 22:19:14 CET 2001 i686 unknown
7:30pm up 1 day, 16:12, 7 users, load average: 1.03, 1.07, 1.08

2001-03-20 01:29:48

by ?????i

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:30:49 +0100 (CET)
Pierre Etchemaite <[email protected]> wrote:

> FYI, burning CDRs with this adapter seldom work under Windows too, Tekram
> adapters are usually fine, but those DC-315* & DC-395* really look like chip
> stuff...
>
> BR,
> Pierre.

I never have errors under MS-windows with VIA bridge chip. It's a problem
for me,when I start to use kernel 2.4.x. The timing between the new SCSI
layer and the Hardware of DC-315 has some mismatch.(I guess it)

Maybe at sometimes,I would not like waiting a specific driver for it.
What's the best choice of SCSI card which support won't have errors and
the linux kernel won't give up supporting it???

Best Regards,cwz