2005-10-21 18:51:20

by Mr. Berkley Shands

Subject: 2.6.14-rc5 mlock/munlock bug

I've noticed that between 2.6.14-rc2 and 2.6.14-rc5 mlock() and
mlunlock() have broken.

a call to mlock() to lock pages is granted, and the pages are locked,
but never
unlocked, even when munlock() is manually called or at process rundown.
No problems under 2.6.13 or up to 2.6.14-rc2. But sometime after -rc2 it
goes BANG
and the machine gets very unhappy. If you look at "swapon -s" you see
more and more swap
space is used until there is no physical memory left, then things really
get unhappy.

berkley

2005-10-25 21:48:35

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: 2.6.14-rc5 mlock/munlock bug

"Mr. Berkley Shands" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've noticed that between 2.6.14-rc2 and 2.6.14-rc5 mlock() and
> mlunlock() have broken.
>
> a call to mlock() to lock pages is granted, and the pages are locked,
> but never
> unlocked, even when munlock() is manually called or at process rundown.
> No problems under 2.6.13 or up to 2.6.14-rc2. But sometime after -rc2 it
> goes BANG
> and the machine gets very unhappy. If you look at "swapon -s" you see
> more and more swap
> space is used until there is no physical memory left, then things really
> get unhappy.

I cannot reproduce this behaviour here. Can you please provide a testcase?

This is on x86, I assume?