2000-11-11 19:40:20

by J Sloan

Subject: Re: sendmail fails to deliver mail with attachments in /var/spool/mqueue

"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> NT and NetWare servers don't stop forwarding
> emails when the load average gets too high -- they just work out of the
> box, and hopefully, no so will Linux (our distribution does now since
> this problem in fixed).

Don't get me started on nt - saying it "just works" is a sign of
genuine naivete - You could say nt "usually works, except for
when it's down". Your sendmail issue with Linux was merely a
tunable parameter, while the nt problems go much deeper, and
nt often requires regular reboots in order to carry on.

> Now we know that sendmail has problems on Linux based on the this load
> average interpretation, which we would not have known if someone had
> not raised the issue.

It is good that you raised the issue -

Cheers,

jjs