2023-01-22 09:18:40

by Andreas Gruenbacher

Subject: [GIT PULL] gfs2 writepage fix

From: Linus Torvalds <[email protected]>

Hi Linus,

please consider pulling the following gfs2 fix.

Thank you very much,
Andreas

The following changes since commit 5dc4c995db9eb45f6373a956eb1f69460e69e6d4:

Linux 6.2-rc4 (2023-01-15 09:22:43 -0600)

are available in the Git repository at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gfs2/linux-gfs2.git tags/gfs2-v6.2-rc4-fix

for you to fetch changes up to 95ecbd0f162fc06ef4c4045a66f653f47b62a2d3:

Revert "gfs2: stop using generic_writepages in gfs2_ail1_start_one" (2023-01-22 09:46:14 +0100)

gfs2 writepage fix

- Fix a regression introduced by commit "gfs2: stop using
generic_writepages in gfs2_ail1_start_one".

Andreas Gruenbacher (1):
Revert "gfs2: stop using generic_writepages in gfs2_ail1_start_one"

fs/gfs2/log.c | 11 ++++++++++-

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] gfs2 writepage fix

On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 1:01 AM Andreas Gruenbacher <[email protected]> wrote:

> gfs2 writepage fix
>
> - Fix a regression introduced by commit "gfs2: stop using
> generic_writepages in gfs2_ail1_start_one".

Hmm. I'm adding a few more people and linux-fsdevel to the reply,
because we had a number of filesystems remove writepages use lately,
including some that did it as a fix after the merge window.

Everybody involved seemed to claim it was just a no-brainer
switch-over, and I just took that on faith. Now it looks like that
wasn't true at least for gfs2 due to different semantics.

Maybe the gfs2 issue is purely because of how gfs2 did the conversion
(generic_writepages -> filemap_fdatawrite_wbc), but let's make people
look at their own cases.

Linus

2023-01-22 20:20:46

by pr-tracker-bot

The pull request you sent on Sun, 22 Jan 2023 10:01:15 +0100:

> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gfs2/linux-gfs2.git tags/gfs2-v6.2-rc4-fix

has been merged into torvalds/linux.git:
https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/3c006ad74d68be45ee36ca68fd9c053974fb6b0f

Thank you!

--
Deet-doot-dot, I am a bot.
https://korg.docs.kernel.org/prtracker.html

2023-01-23 10:06:02

by Jan Kara

On Sun 22-01-23 12:05:53, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 1:01 AM Andreas Gruenbacher <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > gfs2 writepage fix
> >
> > - Fix a regression introduced by commit "gfs2: stop using
> > generic_writepages in gfs2_ail1_start_one".
>
> Hmm. I'm adding a few more people and linux-fsdevel to the reply,
> because we had a number of filesystems remove writepages use lately,
> including some that did it as a fix after the merge window.
>
> Everybody involved seemed to claim it was just a no-brainer
> switch-over, and I just took that on faith. Now it looks like that
> wasn't true at least for gfs2 due to different semantics.
>
> Maybe the gfs2 issue is purely because of how gfs2 did the conversion
> (generic_writepages -> filemap_fdatawrite_wbc), but let's make people
> look at their own cases.

Thanks for the heads up. So we had kind of a similar issue for ext4 but it
got caught by Ted during his regression runs so we've basically done what
GFS2 is doing for the merge window and now there's patchset pending to
convert the data=journal path as well because as Andreas states in his
changelog of the revert that's a bit more tricky. But at least for ext4
the conversion of data=journal path resulted in much cleaner and shorter
code.

Honza
--
Jan Kara <[email protected]>
SUSE Labs, CR

2023-01-23 16:03:38

by Theodore Ts'o

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 11:05:56AM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up. So we had kind of a similar issue for ext4 but it
> got caught by Ted during his regression runs so we've basically done what
> GFS2 is doing for the merge window and now there's patchset pending to
> convert the data=journal path as well because as Andreas states in his
> changelog of the revert that's a bit more tricky. But at least for ext4
> the conversion of data=journal path resulted in much cleaner and shorter
> code.

https://thunk.org/tytso/images/firestarter-fs-development-without-testing.jpg

:-)

- Ted