2000-11-22 05:06:37

by MOHAMMED AZAD

Subject: Locking User memory pages from a driver....

Hi all,

How do i lock user mode memmory pages from kernel mode driver.. so that i
can access it whenever i need to from the driver.... I am using linux kernel
2.2.14.. can this be done in this kernel version... or is it supported in
some other newer versions.. like 2.4..

TIA
azad

2000-11-22 14:03:08

by Eric Lowe

Subject: Re: Locking User memory pages from a driver....

Hello,

> How do i lock user mode memmory pages from kernel mode driver.. so that i
> can access it whenever i need to from the driver.... I am using linux kernel
> 2.2.14.. can this be done in this kernel version... or is it supported in
> some other newer versions.. like 2.4..

raw I/O. Stock in 2.4, available as a patch in 2.2. You're in luck,
I just released an updated patch against 2.2.17 and 2.2.18preXX yesterday,
based on SCT's raw I/O and with Andrea's fixes.

http://www.donet.com/~elowe/linux/patches

For example usage see fs/block.c brw_kiovec() and drivers/char/raw.c
Basically you call:

alloc_kiovec() to initialize kiobufs

map_user_kiobuf() to map a kiobuf to a user buffer (best if <= 64K)

Look in the kiobuf to get the iobuf->offset into the first page
and addresses to the pages:

bounce = iobuf->bouncelist[pageind];

if (bounce)
page = bounce;
else
page = iobuf->pagelist[pageind];

The page is a kernel virtual address as an unsigned long you can
then translate in the usual way (e.g. virt_to_bus() for PCI).
Don't forget to count the length of the last page as
PAGE_SIZE-iobuf->offset or you'll run over in your S/G.

unmap_kiobuf() to unmap the kiobuf and unpin the pages

If you do a lot of DMA I/O with large buffers you'll need to apply
the 22vmfix patch in the same directory or you'll run out memory
and things will start to be OOM killed.

--
Eric Lowe
Software Engineer, Systran Corporation