2009-01-18 14:12:41

by Christian Hoene

Subject: Questions on connecting BlueZ/SBC with Ekiga

Hello,

I have a question on how to use A2DP and SBC for streaming of audio over the
Internet.

How would you implement an interface between Ekiga and BlueZ? The
requirements are
1 SBC frames from Ekiga
1.1 Shall be played via an A2DP device.
1.2 Shall be played via the sound card of the PC.
2. SBC frame going to Ekiga
2.1 Recorded from an A2DP device
2.2 recorded by the PC's sound card.

Due to legal reason we must use the BlueZ and are not allowed to include SBC
into Ekiga.
Does somebody has an idea on how and where to implement this?

Thanks

Christian

Dr.-Ing. Christian Hoene
Computer Networks and Internet, University of T?bingen
Sand 13, 72076 T?bingen, Germany, Phone +49 7071 2970532
http://net.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~hoene

2009-01-19 05:17:14

by Christian Hoene

Subject: RE: Questions on connecting BlueZ/SBC with Ekiga

Hello Brad,

> Can anyone comment on whether this is specific to the encoder/decoder?
> Is the patent an inevitable part of the codec or limited to a specific
> implementation?

It is part of the codec algorithm and thus part of any implementation.

> > good to know since I was under the impression that SBC is royalty free
> > in all cases and not only Bluetooth. You might wanna check if it says
> > Bluetooth device or Bluetooth usage. Do they really bind it to devices
> > or to the transport?
>
> How is a computer with a qualified USB adapter different from any
> other qualified bluetooth device? Does the software have to be
> targeted for a specific portable computer as opposed to useful on any
> computer?

I am sorry to say what I do not have the contract between Philips and
Bluetooth SIG. Thus, only the legal department of Philips can answer your
question. I requested feedback from the legal department of Philips.
However, I am still awaiting an answer. I will inform you as soon as I get
it.
The SBC issues does not seem to have a high priority because the amount of
money to make or loss is quite low.

Best regards,

Christian

2009-01-19 01:35:05

by Brad Midgley

Guys

--
Brad Midgley

2009-01-18 16:01:23

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Christian,

> > > Due to legal reason we must use the BlueZ and are not allowed to include
> SBC
> > > into Ekiga.
> >
> > What kind of legal reasons are you talking about here. The SBC
> > implementation is released under LGPL. Worst case issue here is that you
> > actually build an independent library out of it and just link it
> > dynamically. We were planning to do so anyway, but currently that is not
> > really sufficient for us. It would just create a maintenance overhead.
>
> The SBC is covered by patents owned by Frans and Philips. Philips has made a
> legal agreement with Bluetooth SIG allowing SBC to be used in any Bluetooth
> device. Any other usages require permission from Philips.
>
> Last year, a Philips' lawyer called me asking me to license SBC if it is
> added to Ekiga. I told them that I do not have money and asked finding
> another solution. However, until now Philips did not made a decision on how
> to process on this issues. I am awaiting it. Luckily, I am not yet sued ;-)

good to know since I was under the impression that SBC is royalty free
in all cases and not only Bluetooth. You might wanna check if it says
Bluetooth device or Bluetooth usage. Do they really bind it to devices
or to the transport?

Regards

Marcel

2009-01-18 15:19:41

by Christian Hoene

Hello Marcel,

> > Due to legal reason we must use the BlueZ and are not allowed to include
SBC
> > into Ekiga.
>
> What kind of legal reasons are you talking about here. The SBC
> implementation is released under LGPL. Worst case issue here is that you
> actually build an independent library out of it and just link it
> dynamically. We were planning to do so anyway, but currently that is not
> really sufficient for us. It would just create a maintenance overhead.

The SBC is covered by patents owned by Frans and Philips. Philips has made a
legal agreement with Bluetooth SIG allowing SBC to be used in any Bluetooth
device. Any other usages require permission from Philips.

Last year, a Philips' lawyer called me asking me to license SBC if it is
added to Ekiga. I told them that I do not have money and asked finding
another solution. However, until now Philips did not made a decision on how
to process on this issues. I am awaiting it. Luckily, I am not yet sued ;-)

Greetings

Christian

2009-01-18 15:05:06

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Christian,

> I have a question on how to use A2DP and SBC for streaming of audio over the
> Internet.
>
> How would you implement an interface between Ekiga and BlueZ? The
> requirements are
> 1 SBC frames from Ekiga
> 1.1 Shall be played via an A2DP device.
> 1.2 Shall be played via the sound card of the PC.

can you use GStreamer here since that includes the SBC encoder and
decoder as elements. You can construct the pipeline as you like.

Meaning that Ekiga would be a GStreamer source. Of course you would have
to write that specific source element.

> 2. SBC frame going to Ekiga
> 2.1 Recorded from an A2DP device
> 2.2 recorded by the PC's sound card.

Having Ekiga as a GStreamer sink sounds like a good idea.