2008-12-22 20:21:20

by Claudio Fiorini

Subject: understading bluetooth init

hi,
is there any point of start to know what exactly happens when i plug a
BT dongle in my usb port? I mean what code is sent to BT through USB?

thanks a lot

claudio

2008-12-23 23:10:40

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: understading bluetooth init

Hi Claudio,

first things first, don't top-post on the mailing list. It is a proper
open source mailing list that uses bottom posting and inline quoting.

> I'm using an arduino board and a ps3 gamepad to move 3 servos for a
> small robotic arm. I would like to put a BT dongle to the arduino, the
> one that is used from a normal computer, without buy a bluetooth module
> that cost too much for now because my arm is just a prototype for
> something that i'll build in the few months.
> Anyway to make it short, i don't need to make huge data transfer, but
> just some bytes, so i can skip many USB and BT features to do that?
>
> I know something about bluez because is searched inside source code to
> create Rbluez, ruby c extension, but i tried to find out what exactly
> happen, in kernel space and user space, when i plug a usb dongle but,
> for me, is too much now.
>
> Maybe to start this search you can tell me which file is have to
> investigate!

as I said before, there is no easy answer to such a question. You can
grab one of my old presentation that I did around 2003, but even that
might not help that much. It is a really complex system. Sorry, there is
nothing I can really do in a quick answer. If you wanna look into the
kernel code, look at net/bluetooth/ and include/net/bluetooth/. The
actual drivers for the USB dongle is at drivers/bluetooth/btusb.c.

Regards

Marcel

2008-12-23 19:11:54

by Claudio Fiorini

Thanks for your answer.
I'm using an arduino board and a ps3 gamepad to move 3 servos for a
small robotic arm. I would like to put a BT dongle to the arduino, the
one that is used from a normal computer, without buy a bluetooth module
that cost too much for now because my arm is just a prototype for
something that i'll build in the few months.
Anyway to make it short, i don't need to make huge data transfer, but
just some bytes, so i can skip many USB and BT features to do that?

I know something about bluez because is searched inside source code to
create Rbluez, ruby c extension, but i tried to find out what exactly
happen, in kernel space and user space, when i plug a usb dongle but,
for me, is too much now.

Maybe to start this search you can tell me which file is have to
investigate!

Thanks

claudio

On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 01:51 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>
> > is there any point of start to know what exactly happens when i plug a
> > BT dongle in my usb port? I mean what code is sent to BT through USB?
>
> this is kinda generic broad questions that can't be answered here
> quickly by anybody. It would take some time to write this up. Why are
> you asking?
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Claudio,

> is there any point of start to know what exactly happens when i plug a
> BT dongle in my usb port? I mean what code is sent to BT through USB?

this is kinda generic broad questions that can't be answered here
quickly by anybody. It would take some time to write this up. Why are
you asking?

Regards

Marcel

2009-01-05 10:52:17

by Claudio Fiorini

On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 00:10 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> You can
> grab one of my old presentation that I did around 2003, but even that
> might not help that much. It is a really complex system. Sorry, there
> is
> nothing I can really do in a quick answer. If you wanna look into the
> kernel code, look at net/bluetooth/ and include/net/bluetooth/. The
> actual drivers for the USB dongle is at drivers/bluetooth/btusb.c.

thanks for your answer.
last year i bought a book about linux kernel network internals, but i
never had time to read, could it be useful to help me out?

thanks
claudio