2009-01-15 07:30:34

by Krishnan

Subject: Patching 2.6.24

Hi,

Is it possible to pull in just the Bluetooth changes in kernel 2.6.27 to 2.6.24? Does it have any other dependencies? I am trying to use 2.6.24 with BlueZ 4.17.

Kindly let me know.

Regards
Krishnan

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses

2009-01-20 15:23:00

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: Patching 2.6.24

Hi Sreevani,

>>> I have 2.6.24 down as release in January 2008. In Linus years this
>>> is an
>>> ancient kernel. Please just try to forward port any patches you have
>>> with 2.6.24 to 2.6.28 and use just a recent kernel. In the long-term
>>> this is the only way to keep you sane. Backporting changes to older
>>> kernels are always tricky. Sure it can be done, but nobody with a
>>> sane
>>> mind is doing it for free.
>
> after attempting to patching the 2.6.27 bluetooth changes on to
> 2.6.24[ie., drivers/bluetooth & net/bluetooth] & used the latest BlueZ
> . Tested the same with headsets for music & voice(worked fine),but the
> HID device didnt not work. We need to work with bluetooth on 2.6.24 as
> there is a dependancy on the others drivers present in kernel 2.6.24.
> For HID over Bluetooth to work does it have a dependancy on other
> kernel drivers/modules(apart from drivers/bluetooth & net/bluetooth
> modules). Any clues in this regard will be helpful.

let me be just quite blunt here. The assumption that you have to stay
with 2.6.24 is something you put yourself onto. In many cases it is as
simple to forward other drivers than insisting on backporting changes.

If you blindly copy the directories over you will end up in trouble.
It might work, but in many cases it will not since the subystems
Bluetooth depends on changed quite a bit during the last two years.

For HID, we have introduced a full blown HID subsystem and HID bus
during the time and Bluetooth depends on it. No idea why it doesn't
work, but as I said, backports are painful and introduce the same
risks of breaking things than moving forward with a more recent kernel.

Nobody says you should use bleeding edge 2.6.28, but at least one
kernel where the -stable maintainers still bother to update it.

Regards

Marcel

2009-01-20 13:25:38

by sreevani medhahal

Hi Marcel,
On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi Krishnan,
>>
>>> Is it possible to pull in just the Bluetooth changes in kernel 2.6.27 to 2.6.24? Does it have any other dependencies? I am trying to use 2.6.24 with BlueZ 4.17.
>
>> I have 2.6.24 down as release in January 2008. In Linus years this is an
>>ancient kernel. Please just try to forward port any patches you have
>> with 2.6.24 to 2.6.28 and use just a recent kernel. In the long-term
>> this is the only way to keep you sane. Backporting changes to older
>> kernels are always tricky. Sure it can be done, but nobody with a sane
>> mind is doing it for free.

after attempting to patching the 2.6.27 bluetooth changes on to
2.6.24[ie., drivers/bluetooth & net/bluetooth] & used the latest BlueZ
. Tested the same with headsets for music & voice(worked fine),but the
HID device didnt not work. We need to work with bluetooth on 2.6.24 as
there is a dependancy on the others drivers present in kernel 2.6.24.
For HID over Bluetooth to work does it have a dependancy on other
kernel drivers/modules(apart from drivers/bluetooth & net/bluetooth
modules). Any clues in this regard will be helpful.

Thanks & Regards,
Sreevani M

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi,

> I meet a similar problem. Last time i try to porting bluetooth in
> 2.6.27 to 2.6.18 (my EVB's kernel version), and found some kernel API
> has been changed. So, i think it will take some time, then i suspend
> this try.

that kernel is 2,5 years old. Come on guys, seriously, upgrade your
kernels.

> By the way, there's only the bluetooth patch for lastest kernel in
> the BlueZ website. How can i download the old patches?

I am not updating these any more. It is a fruitless job and nobody
thanks nor pays enough money for it.

Regards

Marcel

2009-01-18 15:20:40

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Krishnan,

> Is it possible to pull in just the Bluetooth changes in kernel 2.6.27 to 2.6.24? Does it have any other dependencies? I am trying to use 2.6.24 with BlueZ 4.17.

I have 2.6.24 down as release in January 2008. In Linus years this is an
ancient kernel. Please just try to forward port any patches you have
with 2.6.24 to 2.6.28 and use just a recent kernel. In the long-term
this is the only way to keep you sane. Backporting changes to older
kernels are always tricky. Sure it can be done, but nobody with a sane
mind is doing it for free.

Regards

Marcel

2009-01-16 01:39:16

by 卞磊

Hi Krishnan,
I meet a similar problem. Last time i try to porting bluetooth in
2.6.27 to 2.6.18 (my EVB's kernel version), and found some kernel API
has been changed. So, i think it will take some time, then i suspend
this try.

By the way, there's only the bluetooth patch for lastest kernel in
the BlueZ website. How can i download the old patches?

Regards
LeiBian