2009-11-02 23:47:32

by Julius Schwartzenberg

Subject: Logitech Bluetooth mouse batteries drain quickly

Hi,

I have a rather strange problem. I bought a Logitech Bluetooth mouse
some time ago. It works very well in Ubuntu and I never had any usage
problems.

The strange thing is though, that the batteries that are inside the
mouse drain extremely quickly. I compared the time it takes the mouse to
drain a set full batteries to my flatmate's who uses the exact same
mouse with Mac OS X. It turns out that my batteries drain about four
times as quickly as his.

I didn't test much else. May be the problem could also be related to my
Bluetooth "receiver" which is a Broadcom BCM2046.

I suspect however that Bluez is somehow talking with the device in such
a way the mouse doesn't sleep as quickly as when Mac OS X talks to it.
Could this somehow be the case? If so, what could I do to help solve
this with Bluez?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Julius

2009-11-05 19:43:54

by Iain Hibbert

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:

> Yes, it's indeed not days, but months. Here is the output from hcitool:
> Link policy settings: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
>
> So this looks good I guess?

guess so

> When I look at the info, I get this:
> Requesting information ...
> BD Address: 00:07:61:DF:0D:C7
> Device Name: Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse
> LMP Version: 2.0 (0x3) LMP Subversion: 0x229
> Manufacturer: Broadcom Corporation (15)
> Features: 0xbc 0x02 0x04 0x38 0x08 0x00 0x00 0x00
> <sniff mode> <RSSI> <power control> <enhanced iscan>
> <interlaced iscan> <interlaced pscan> <AFH cap. slave>
>
> Could the problem be related to the "power control" feature which may not be
> fully used right now?

No, that relates to Link Manager Protocol which is carried out entirely
within the controller and I don't think there is any way for the host to
influence any decisions regarding that..

My suggestion is to use rechargeables. They will likely last longer than
alkalines, and I normally have spares already charged (use AA for bicycle
lights) so it never really bothered me to have a flat..

iain

2009-11-05 11:24:27

by Julius Schwartzenberg

Iain Hibbert wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:
>
>> I have a rather strange problem. I bought a Logitech Bluetooth mouse some time
>> ago. It works very well in Ubuntu and I never had any usage problems.
>>
>> The strange thing is though, that the batteries that are inside the mouse
>> drain extremely quickly. I compared the time it takes the mouse to drain a set
>> full batteries to my flatmate's who uses the exact same mouse with Mac OS X.
>> It turns out that my batteries drain about four times as quickly as his.
>
> how quickly is 'extremely quickly' ?

I have the mouse for about 7 months now. This is my 4rd or 5th pair of
batteries I think.

>> I suspect however that Bluez is somehow talking with the device in such a way
>> the mouse doesn't sleep as quickly as when Mac OS X talks to it. Could this
>> somehow be the case? If so, what could I do to help solve this with Bluez?
>
> what are the link policy settings for that link? (see hcitool(1))
>
> for instance, if I don't enable SNIFF mode then my [Apple] keyboard drains
> the batteries in a few days, vs many weeks otherwise ..

Yes, it's indeed not days, but months. Here is the output from hcitool:
Link policy settings: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK

So this looks good I guess?

When I look at the info, I get this:
Requesting information ...
BD Address: 00:07:61:DF:0D:C7
Device Name: Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse
LMP Version: 2.0 (0x3) LMP Subversion: 0x229
Manufacturer: Broadcom Corporation (15)
Features: 0xbc 0x02 0x04 0x38 0x08 0x00 0x00 0x00
<sniff mode> <RSSI> <power control> <enhanced iscan>
<interlaced iscan> <interlaced pscan> <AFH cap. slave>

Could the problem be related to the "power control" feature which may
not be fully used right now?

Julius

2009-11-03 09:06:56

by Iain Hibbert

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:

> I have a rather strange problem. I bought a Logitech Bluetooth mouse some time
> ago. It works very well in Ubuntu and I never had any usage problems.
>
> The strange thing is though, that the batteries that are inside the mouse
> drain extremely quickly. I compared the time it takes the mouse to drain a set
> full batteries to my flatmate's who uses the exact same mouse with Mac OS X.
> It turns out that my batteries drain about four times as quickly as his.

how quickly is 'extremely quickly' ?

> I suspect however that Bluez is somehow talking with the device in such a way
> the mouse doesn't sleep as quickly as when Mac OS X talks to it. Could this
> somehow be the case? If so, what could I do to help solve this with Bluez?

what are the link policy settings for that link? (see hcitool(1))

for instance, if I don't enable SNIFF mode then my [Apple] keyboard drains
the batteries in a few days, vs many weeks otherwise ..

regards,
iain