2009-04-01 03:21:24

by jayjwa

Subject: Re: Newbie, can't find device

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Last night I went through a make xconfig with the intent of turning on the
> module building of anything even remotely related, rebuilt 2.6.28.9 and
> rebooted. FWIW, 2.6.29 is unusable due to loss of networking problems at about
> a 24 hour uptime.
>
> hciconfig -a now returns:
>
> [root@coyote /]# hciconfig -a
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 11:11:11:11:11:11 ACL MTU: 672:3 SCO MTU: 48:1
> UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
> RX bytes:1416 acl:0 sco:0 events:53 errors:0
> TX bytes:475 acl:0 sco:0 commands:53 errors:0
> Features: 0xff 0x3e 0x85 0x38 0x18 0x18 0x00 0x00
> Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
> Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
> Name: 'coyote.coyote.den-0'
> Class: 0x022104
> Service Classes: Networking
> Device Class: Computer, Desktop workstation
> HCI Ver: 2.0 (0x3) HCI Rev: 0x1f4 LMP Ver: 2.0 (0x3) LMP Subver: 0x1f4
> Manufacturer: CONWISE Technology Corporation Ltd (66)

That looks better. It should be OK now. Maybe it was missing a module.

> And on the reboot, there was a /net directory created on the / drive, but its
> empty.

Not sure what that is, but it's not related to Bluetooth. The only "/net"
directories I'm familiar with are /ect/net from the 'etcnet' Linux networking
project, and the 'net' directory created in the modules tree by Madwifi
wireless kernel module install. Some people make a '/mnt/net' for things like
NFS remote filesystem mounts ...

> From dmseg now:
> [root@coyote linux-2.6.28.9]# dmesg |grep Bluetooth
> [ 8.998327] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.13
> [ 8.998405] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
> [ 8.998407] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
> [ 9.140422] Bluetooth: Generic Bluetooth USB driver ver 0.3
> [ 21.147971] Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.11
> [ 21.147974] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
> [ 21.304643] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
> [ 21.304646] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
> [ 21.402288] Bluetooth: SCO (Voice Link) ver 0.6
> [ 21.402291] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
> [ 22.124825] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
> [ 22.124837] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
> [ 22.124838] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.10
>
> But there is not yet a /dev/hciX device being created.

That's expected because no such thing exists, the same as there's no
"/dev/eth0" or such on Linux.

> What is next?

That depends on what you want to do exactly. You should be able to follow the
commands from my first post, to bind an rfcomm device (assuming you're trying
to connect to something like a bluetooth modem, since you mentioned Minicom).
You should be able to view the services available on the remote system now:

sdptool browse <address>

Find the one you want, and note the channel it's on. You can then use rfcomm,
which should make your /dev/rfcomm0 device that's giving access to the remote
device at the specified channel. See 'rfcomm --help' for rfcomm commands (it
doesn't have a "--help" parameter, but doing that will cause the same output
as if it did.)

2009-04-03 03:20:42

by Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 31 March 2009, jayjwa wrote:

>That depends on what you want to do exactly. You should be able to follow
> the commands from my first post, to bind an rfcomm device (assuming you're
> trying to connect to something like a bluetooth modem, since you mentioned
> Minicom). You should be able to view the services available on the remote
> system now:
>

>sdptool browse <address>

sdptool browse local returns a lot of stuff that means little to me until I
'learn the lingo'

Specifying anything but 'local' times out eventually.

>Find the one you want, and note the channel it's on. You can then use
> rfcomm, which should make your /dev/rfcomm0 device that's giving access to
> the remote device at the specified channel. See 'rfcomm --help' for rfcomm
> commands (it doesn't have a "--help" parameter, but doing that will cause
> the same output as if it did.)

I have made some small progress in that there are some hcitool commands that
do not return the error screen. For instance:
[root@coyote blueman-1.02]# hcitool dev
Devices:
hci0 11:11:11:11:11:11

This after using "rfcomm bind HCI0 11:11:11:11:11:11 1" and then doing a
listen on channel 1 through 30, but I have NDI how many channels are actually
allocated in the rules for bt devices.

The other end is running a program that outputs the string "CoCo3 at
coyote.den" through that device at 9600 baud about 2x/second till I kill it.
Nothing is heard by hci0 here.

So walk me through setting this up from scratch on the linux end, to connect
to a bt device on the other and about 20 feet away, that if its beacon is
running, and I have no clue how to ascertain that, with an 'eb101' string and
I presume its bdaddr in addition to the string I'm sending. That end is set
for 9600 baud, and I've not stumbled over how to set this end for that speed
yet, so take that into consideration please.

Thank you very much.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)