2009-02-14 01:46:38

by Breno Jacinto

Subject: Sending frames other than IP type 0x800 via BNEP

Hello,

I'm currently trying to exchange messages in a Bluetooth BNEP
network, _without_using the IP protocol, but sending raw ethernet
frames directly. According to the BNEP specification[1], there's a
Network Protocol Type which is set for Ethernet frames coming from the
IP layer, whose value is 0x800. I have tried to send IP packets,
including broadcasts, and they go normally over a BNEP network.

On the other hand, sending a customized frame seems impossible. The
node keeps sending the frame, but no destination receives it. So, back
to the specification, on page 22 there's a section about BNEP filter
protocol type, specifying which protocol types should be filtered and
not transmitted over BNEP. But then they go on and mention that by
default everything should be allowed, so, even if I'm transmitting a
frame type 0x8765, in theory it should be sent and no filter should
block it.

Well, that's the only hypothesis I can elaborate up to now. Since
I'm not familiar with the implementation of BNEP in the BlueZ stack,
I'd kindly ask you guys if you have any other idea of what may be
happening and if there's a fix for this in the current implementation.

[1] http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/15/Bluetooth/BNEP.pdf

best regards,
:: Breno Jacinto ::
:: breno - at - gprt.ufpe.br ::
:: FingerPrint ::
2F15 8A61 F566 E442 8581
E3C0 EFF4 E202 74B7 7484
:: Persistir no dif?cil ? a ?nica maneira de torn?-lo f?cil algum dia. ::

2009-02-17 00:58:49

by Breno Jacinto

Hello,

I'm not sure if this was the right list to post this question -
I'm sorry if it is not. I'm wondering if there's a proper mailing list
for covering details of BlueZ implementation.

thanks in advance,