2008-09-24 10:33:06

by Ville Tervo

Subject: [RFC] DUT mode support for kernel

Hi,

In good old days the only action needed to enable DUT mode was "hcitool
cmd 0x06 0x0003" or similar. However now after having full connection
tracking also for incoming connection this doesn't work anymore.

At least R&S tester does only ACL link to the device and therefore BlueZ
disconnects it after 10 secs. Connection tracking needs to be disabled
somehow. I prepared one proposal how to deal with it. The disable DUT
mode command is missing because the Spec says the DUT mode is disabled
by resetting the chip. Thus it can be done with "hciconfig hci0 reset"
command.

With this patch against bluetooth-2.6 tree the DUT mode is enabled by
echoing "enabled\n" to new sysfs entry. Maybe some other interface
should be used instead?

Any comments?

--
Ville

Attachments:
0001--BLUETOOTH-DUT-mode-support.patch (4.10 kB)

2008-09-25 06:03:43

by Ville Tervo

Subject: Re: [RFC] DUT mode support for kernel

Hi Marcel,

ext Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Ville,
>

>> With this patch against bluetooth-2.6 tree the DUT mode is enabled by
>> echoing "enabled\n" to new sysfs entry. Maybe some other interface
>> should be used instead?
>
> just remove the whole sysfs crap around it. Listen to the command status
> from the DUT change and then still use hcitool cmd for entering it.

OK. New patch without sysfs crap will follow soon. I was just one step
too far and was thinking about removal of raw hci sockets :)

--
Ville

2008-09-24 18:42:37

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Ville,

> In good old days the only action needed to enable DUT mode was "hcitool
> cmd 0x06 0x0003" or similar. However now after having full connection
> tracking also for incoming connection this doesn't work anymore.
>
> At least R&S tester does only ACL link to the device and therefore BlueZ
> disconnects it after 10 secs. Connection tracking needs to be disabled
> somehow. I prepared one proposal how to deal with it. The disable DUT
> mode command is missing because the Spec says the DUT mode is disabled
> by resetting the chip. Thus it can be done with "hciconfig hci0 reset"
> command.
>
> With this patch against bluetooth-2.6 tree the DUT mode is enabled by
> echoing "enabled\n" to new sysfs entry. Maybe some other interface
> should be used instead?

just remove the whole sysfs crap around it. Listen to the command status
from the DUT change and then still use hcitool cmd for entering it.

Regards

Marcel