2008-10-21 00:49:48

by Richi Plana

Subject: Bluez / Bluetooth Docs

Hi,

My apologies in advance for the slightly off-topic post.

Working under the assumption that one can't bind two BT headsets to one
BT adapter (device or whatever the correct term is), I've made available
two BT adapters on my notebook (one USB dongle) and am now trying to
pair one headset with one device. The problem is I've no idea how this
works outside of the automagic that Fedora does (using hcid).

My question is where can I find documentation that covers the concepts
behind bluetooth on linux, specifically the bluez implementation. I've
checked out http://www.bluez.org and downloaded the latest packages, but they
don't contain documentation on how things are supposed to work (which
daemons or utils do what).

Are there official docs available that explains the infrastructure and
tools to a newbie? If not official, could someone point me out to a good
set of docs that might get me on my way?

Thanks.
--

Richi

2008-10-21 22:29:27

by David Sainty

Subject: Re: Bluez / Bluetooth Docs

Richi Plana wrote:
>> Working under the assumption that one can't bind two BT headsets to one
>> BT adapter (device or whatever the correct term is), I've made available
>> two BT adapters on my notebook (one USB dongle) and am now trying to
>> pair one headset with one device. The problem is I've no idea how this
>> works outside of the automagic that Fedora does (using hcid).

Not that I've tried it, but I expect that this assumption is wrong - you
can talk to multiple bluetooth devices with one transceiver, and I don't
see any reason to expect headsets to be a special case?

For access via ALSA I have, for my one headset:
pcm.bluetooth {
type bluetooth
device "00:13:A9:C2:43:41"
}

You might have some success putting two such entries into your .asoundrc
(you might have a pcm.bluetooth1 and pcm.bluetooth2, and obviously you
need to enter the two device addresses for your headsets). I do this
under BlueZ 4.x, so it might be different in your case.

Then this kind of thing should work: mplayer -ao alsa:device=bluetooth1
play.mp3

2008-10-21 22:03:11

by Richi Plana

Any pointers? Other mailing lists? IRC channels? There's nothing on the
bluez website.