2009-09-04 16:42:46

by Rafael Seste

Subject: choppy audio on ARM

Hi all,

A couple of months ago I sent a email about a problem with the
bluetooth audio on a ARM platform. I have a choppy audio on the
incoming stream. I still didn't solve this problem but I found a setup
that this problem doesn't happens.

My ARM device has only one USB port, so I always connect the BT dongle
in this port. Last week I bought a USB hub and plug it into the usb
and the BT dongle in the hub. Miraculously this problem disappeared. I
removed the hub and tried again and the problem returns.

Does anybody has any clue why the USB hub "fixed" this choppy audio???
Does it use a different USB drivers?

tks in advance

--
Rafael S. Seste

2009-09-15 13:14:17

by Douglas Lopes Pereira

Subject: Re: choppy audio on ARM

Hi Brad,

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:
> Douglas
>
>> - Connecting bluetooth dongle over USB Hub:
>>
>> usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 19
>> usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>> hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
>> hub 1-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
>> usb 1-1.3: new full speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 20
>> usb 1-1.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>>
>> - Connecting bluetooth directly on Sheeva Plug:
>>
>> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 14
>> usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>
> "lsusb" in both cases should shed more light on the topology and where
> full speed links creep in.
>
> --
> Brad Midgley

Could you elaborate a little bit more on that?

Thank you.

2009-09-14 20:47:53

by Brad Midgley

Douglas

> - Connecting bluetooth dongle over USB Hub:
>
> usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 19
> usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
> hub 1-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
> usb 1-1.3: new full speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 20
> usb 1-1.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>
> - Connecting bluetooth directly on Sheeva Plug:
>
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 14
> usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

"lsusb" in both cases should shed more light on the topology and where
full speed links creep in.

--
Brad Midgley

2009-09-14 18:17:02

by Douglas Lopes Pereira

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Rafael Seste <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A couple of months ago I sent a email about a problem with the
> bluetooth audio on a ARM platform. I have a choppy audio on the
> incoming stream. I still didn't solve this problem but I found a setup
> that this problem doesn't happens.
>
> My ARM device has only one USB port, so I always connect the BT dongle
> in this port. Last week I bought a USB hub and plug it into the usb
> and the BT dongle in the hub. Miraculously this problem disappeared. I
> removed the hub and tried again and the problem returns.
>
> Does anybody has any clue why the USB hub "fixed" this choppy audio???
> Does it use a different USB drivers?
>
> tks in advance
>
> --
> Rafael S. Seste
> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

does anyone has more information on that?

I have the same scenario here. Same kernel modules loaded but audio
only works if my bluetooth dongle is connected on my external
self-powered USB Hub.

Check out dmesg output:

- Connecting bluetooth dongle over USB Hub:

usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 19
hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
usb 1-1.3: new full speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 20
usb 1-1.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

- Connecting bluetooth directly on Sheeva Plug:

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 14

The only difference is the high device speed device which is my USB Hub.

Can anyone help me to understand what is happening?

Thanks,
Douglas