2009-02-18 20:12:08

by Ed Tsang

Subject: Dynamicall control the maximum or default transmit power

Hi, I am looking at possibility of dynamically control the maximum or default transmit power.
Basically I would like to change the transmit power level during inquiry. So I could kind of dynamically control the physical range of devices that I see. In CSR's Bluecore chip, I think there are pskey that stored the maximum and default transmit power. And there seem to be bccmd psget 0x0017 to get the value.
Now my problem is I am using a class 1 dongle using Broadcom chipset. Is there a way to dynamically control the default or maximum transmit power e.g.
hcitool cmd 0x.. 0x.. ..... ?

During the inquiry paging, does anyone know if they use default or maximum transmit power?

Thanks,
Edwin

2011-09-23 10:58:12

by Vaishali Dhakate

Nope , this is not what I want .will setting the Inquiry Transmit
power change my transmit power level? Well unable to change the inqtpl
using the hcitool as it reverts back exactly like in the
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bluez.kernel/4008.Thanks for
the response though , it inspired me to do more research.
I want to set the max transmit power level of my Bluetooth
transmission which is currently set to 11dbm and the signal drops
after the range of 10 m approx.Acccording to my understanding I should
be able to raise the signal stength to 20dbm as per the Bluetooth chip
datasheet and I should be able to get the bluetooth to work in the
100m range distance.

Been through the hciconfig and hcitool very carefully but not a
solution to this over there.
bccmd is not the answer as this is for CSR chips only not mine which
is broadcom 4329. rfkill is only to enable and disable to transmitter.

Then looking through the code is the only solution . If anyone has a
idea , Plz suggest.

Regards
Vaishali

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Vaishali D <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thank you , Keren.
> Thank you.
> Regards
> Vaishali
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Keren, Doron <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Regarding the bccmd it is CSR transport (BlueCore Command).
>> BlueCore is CSR chip.
>>
>> You can use hcitool and send what u need.
>>
>> HCI_Write_Inquiry_Transmit_Power_Level, ocf = 0x0059, ogf = 0x01
>> #hcitool cmd ...
>>
>> Most of the vendors distinguish between TX power and Inquiry TX power.
>> You can also read the value in HCI_Read_Inquiry...
>>
>> BR,
>> Doron

>>> 2)using bccmd