2009-01-16 22:41:23

by Matthew Grant

Subject: Dell Wireless 360 Bluetooth HID devices not being remembered over suspend/reboot

Hi!

I know that this is a developers list, but I have dug pretty deeply
here and got to the bottom of what the built-in USB bluetooth dongle
is. I have found that its CSR based. Under Windows Vista my Apple
keyboard and Logitech MX 900 work and are remembered across boots.
>From what I have heard, this device should just work. System is a
Dell Vostro 1510 with Intel Core2Duo running Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex,
bluez 4.22. I also have an Intel 3945 ABG PCI mini wireless card in
it as well.

I am willing to do the hacking to get this going - I used to submit
patches to the Linux kernel and develop/patch network drivers for
Frame Relay WAN, as well as making the 2.2x ehternet bridge accessible
via a virtual ethernet interface - my email address was
[email protected].

Should I be using the module flags for a straight CSR modem? Is the
kernel module btusb ths only place the bluez stack looks hard at the
hardware?

>From what I have found looking at posts to the list, the CSR dongle,
once it is set up properly - I don't mind running a CSR DFU firmware
on it - it should just work.

I am going to test software by using my old Logitech dongle in the MX
900 base station-charger.

Getting the mouse going reliably and keyboard is going to help with my
frustrations with the small sized keys on the laptop keyboard when
essay writing - currently I am rebinding the OOo.org keys into an
emacs type of keymap.

lsusb and hciconfig -a output follow. Is there anything else that may
be helpful?

I gather that solving this will help out a lot of Ubuntu Dell laptop users.

Thank you for your time. Marcel - comments will be welcome - :-)

Matthew Grant

en-gedi: -grantma- [~]
$ lsusb
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0c45:63e0 Microdia
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:0a01 Logitech, Inc. USB Headset
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 413c:8140 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 360 Bluetooth
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

en-gedi: -grantma- [~]
$ hciconfig -a
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:21:86:D0:37:F0 ACL MTU: 310:10 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:1104 acl:0 sco:0 events:45 errors:0
TX bytes:440 acl:0 sco:0 commands:44 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xfe 0x9b 0xf9 0x00 0x80
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'en-gedi-0'
Class: 0x0a210c
Service Classes: Networking, Capturing
Device Class: Computer, Laptop
HCI Ver: 2.0 (0x3) HCI Rev: 0x10db LMP Ver: 2.0 (0x3) LMP Subver: 0x10db
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

2009-01-21 08:32:48

by Matthew Grant

Hi,

Been a few days as I have been busy.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 4:13 AM, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> check with "hciconfig hci0 revision" and "bccmd buildname" (both as
> root) if they have a special Dell firmware running on it. If not then
> there can be still a Dell custom application running in the VM of the
> Bluetooth chip.

Here they go:

en-gedi: -root- [~]
# bccmd buildname
Build name: cyt_8unified_fl_bt2.0_kymodo_21d_0702212310_encr56 2007-02-21

en-gedi: -root- [~]
# hciconfig hci0 revision
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:21:86:D0:37:F0 ACL MTU: 310:10 SCO MTU: 64:8
Build 4315
Chip version: BlueCore4-External
Max key size: 56 bit
SCO mapping: HCI

Does this show anything unusual? I don't think this thing is standard.
Running Vista home, everything works across reboots. I did this as a
lot of the information posted about Dell computers suggested doing
this. I am also going to try running 3.36 bluez and see if that
helps.

> Best bet is to ask Mario from Dell if he can help us out here and maybe
> make HID/HCI switching persistent across reboots. If not then we might
> have to write a bluetoothd plugin that does the job for us.

Is Mario on this list? It would be good if he is party to this.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Regards,

Matthew Grant

2009-01-20 20:10:20

by Mario Limonciello

Hi Guys:

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get ahold of the documentation for
what is happening under the hood here. If I do, i'll be glad to get
some form of a patch together or try to get said documentation released.

Regards

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>

>> I know that this is a developers list, but I have dug pretty deeply
>> here and got to the bottom of what the built-in USB bluetooth dongle
>> is. I have found that its CSR based. Under Windows Vista my Apple
>> keyboard and Logitech MX 900 work and are remembered across boots.
>> From what I have heard, this device should just work. System is a
>> Dell Vostro 1510 with Intel Core2Duo running Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex,
>> bluez 4.22. I also have an Intel 3945 ABG PCI mini wireless card in
>> it as well.
>>
>> I am willing to do the hacking to get this going - I used to submit
>> patches to the Linux kernel and develop/patch network drivers for
>> Frame Relay WAN, as well as making the 2.2x ehternet bridge accessible
>> via a virtual ethernet interface - my email address was
>> [email protected].
>>
>> Should I be using the module flags for a straight CSR modem? Is the
>> kernel module btusb ths only place the bluez stack looks hard at the
>> hardware?
>>
>> From what I have found looking at posts to the list, the CSR dongle,
>> once it is set up properly - I don't mind running a CSR DFU firmware
>> on it - it should just work.
>>
>> I am going to test software by using my old Logitech dongle in the MX
>> 900 base station-charger.
>>
>> Getting the mouse going reliably and keyboard is going to help with my
>> frustrations with the small sized keys on the laptop keyboard when
>> essay writing - currently I am rebinding the OOo.org keys into an
>> emacs type of keymap.
>>
>> lsusb and hciconfig -a output follow. Is there anything else that may
>> be helpful?
>>
>> I gather that solving this will help out a lot of Ubuntu Dell laptop users.
>>

> check with "hciconfig hci0 revision" and "bccmd buildname" (both as
> root) if they have a special Dell firmware running on it. If not then
> there can be still a Dell custom application running in the VM of the
> Bluetooth chip.
>
> Best bet is to ask Mario from Dell if he can help us out here and maybe
> make HID/HCI switching persistent across reboots. If not then we might
> have to write a bluetoothd plugin that does the job for us.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Mario Limonciello
*Dell | Linux Engineering*