2008-11-04 17:03:52

by David Merrill

Subject: how to: Inquiry with RSSI?

Hello all -
First, thanks to the developers for creating Bluez - it's so nice to
have such a useful, open-source Bluetooth option.

I am writing with a question: how can I do an inquiry scan with RSSI,
and read out the RSSI values? (without making a connection to devices)
When I run "hciconfig hci0 inqmode" I get the following:

Inquiry mode: Inquiry with RSSI

..so I think the adapter supports this, and is in the correct
configuration - but when I run "hcitool scan", I only get the HW
address and name of local adapters - no RSSI. Is there some flag, or
option that I need to pass to hcitool in order to get RSSI as well?

thanks very much,
David Merrill
--
MIT Media Lab
[email protected]

2008-11-24 03:00:13

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: how to: Inquiry with RSSI?

Hi David,

> First, thanks to the developers for creating Bluez - it's so nice to
> have such a useful, open-source Bluetooth option.
>
> I am writing with a question: how can I do an inquiry scan with RSSI,
> and read out the RSSI values? (without making a connection to devices)
> When I run "hciconfig hci0 inqmode" I get the following:
>
> Inquiry mode: Inquiry with RSSI
>
> ..so I think the adapter supports this, and is in the correct
> configuration - but when I run "hcitool scan", I only get the HW
> address and name of local adapters - no RSSI. Is there some flag, or
> option that I need to pass to hcitool in order to get RSSI as well?

run hcidump to see that you get the right events. Also just use the D-
Bus interface of bluetoothd since that gives you the RSSI values.

Regards

Marcel