2008-07-28 12:59:51

by pavan_savoy

Subject: Understanding UART bluetooth ..

Hi,

I had a question on hciattach / hcid & related to hci-core.c, If I know I have a bluetooth device on ttyS0.. and I do a
#hciattach ttyS0 <with_relevant_parameters>

will the whole system know [using dbus & hcid, that a new device has been added, if so who exactly does this ? ]

I mean I could only find hci_open_dev, but no other dbus or hcid functions to notify...

does hci_notify does the same ? which is being called on hci_open_dev?

Thanks..

2008-08-18 09:22:59

by pavan_savoy

Subject: Re: Understanding UART bluetooth ..

Hi,

Thanks got it clarified. It was basically on the notify mechanism of the bluetooth, and user-space kernel-space interaction.

On hciattach, the HCIUARTSETPROTO ioctl causes "hci_uart_register_dev" to be called [in the line discipline driver], which causes "hci_register_dev" to be called which calls the "hci_notify", which notifies the in-kernel HCI socket layer, which then passes the same to the socket on the user-space.

I hope my understanding is correct.

Thanks.

> I had a question on hciattach / hcid & related to hci-core.c, If I know I have a bluetooth device on ttyS0.. and I do a
> #hciattach ttyS0 <with_relevant_parameters>
>
> will the whole system know [using dbus & hcid, that a new device has been added, if so who exactly does this ? ]
>
> I mean I could only find hci_open_dev, but no other dbus or hcid functions to notify...
>
> does hci_notify does the same ? which is being called on hci_open_dev?

what is your actual question here? I don't have the slightest idea.

Regards

Marcel

2008-08-18 05:14:00

by Marcel Holtmann