2008-07-18 19:21:16

by nased0

Subject: Re: Bluez-utils-3.36 hidd daemon does not compile on Suse 11 x64

nased0 wrote:
> > Suse 11 64-bit distribution does not have a hidd daemon file included,
> > therefore its Bluetooth configurators only pretend to work.

I'd be interested in what you think is "only pretending to work". I
don't want
to rule out a packaging flaw on my side, but at least for me it is working
fine with HID devices and rfcomm/dialup.

> > I think that Suse 11 x64 distro developers were not able to
> > compile is also.

I strongly object to that suspicion ;-)
It's not included on purpose, since it is obsoleted by input-service, as
Marcel already stated.

http://en.opensuse.org/Bluetooth might contain useful information to
help you
set up your devices.

Have fun,

Stefan

I'm using Gnome, not KDE and Gnome configurator could not start my MS
Wireless Laser Mouse 8000.
I have a Compal JFL-92 laptop with integrated BT and Suse 11 x64.
I tried to configure my mouse manually according to some howto's found
on the web, but the final step was starting the hidd daemon.
When I compiled hidd (old version 2.25) and typed command:
hidd --connect 00:17:FA:8A:BD:0B
and pressed a button at the bottom of my mouse
the mouse started to move my cursor.

I don't need anything more from BT, I can connect my Nokia phone by USB
cable with much less effort, but I hate wired mouses and USB radio mouse
plugs, which I'd have to remove before transporting my laptop in my bag.

Just try to test Suse 11 x64 with Gnome on configuration similar to mine.
I propose to include hidd daemon in Suse 11, to allow to configure BT
manually (even if it is not needed by your configurators).

Regards

Pawel

2008-07-20 14:41:08

by Stefan Seyfried

Pawel Witas wrote:

> I'm using Gnome, not KDE and Gnome configurator could not start my MS
> Wireless Laser Mouse 8000.

You can still use kdebluetooth under gnome to configure input devices.
Anyway - if the gnome bluetooth applet does not work for you, then you should
file a bug report here.

> I have a Compal JFL-92 laptop with integrated BT and Suse 11 x64.
> I tried to configure my mouse manually according to some howto's found
> on the web, but the final step was starting the hidd daemon.
> When I compiled hidd (old version 2.25) and typed command:
> hidd --connect 00:17:FA:8A:BD:0B
> and pressed a button at the bottom of my mouse
> the mouse started to move my cursor.

I still won't include hidd for openSUSE since it's obsoleted and will be gone
with 4.0 anyway.

> Just try to test Suse 11 x64 with Gnome on configuration similar to mine.
> I propose to include hidd daemon in Suse 11, to allow to configure BT
> manually (even if it is not needed by your configurators).

use the d-bus methods as described on
http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/InputDevices if you don't want to use
kinputwizard or the bluez-gnome applet.

Have fun.
--
Stefan Seyfried
R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG N?rnberg)