2008-11-19 18:01:46

by Ron Murray

Subject: bcm203x bluetooth dongle still does not work in kernel 2.6.27.6

Hi.

I have a couple of boxes that I'm using with (admittedly fairly old)
Tecon bluetooth devices using the BCM-2033 chipset, and I've been having
trouble with them since you switched to the workqueue. For quite some
time I applied the patch referred to in the message below, and that
worked, but it wouldn't apply on kernel 2.6.27. Rather than fix it, I
decided to try the kernel driver as-is, with patchy results. Sometimes
it works, sometimes it doesn't. The symptoms are the same as below: my
syslog says

Nov 19 12:38:45 rjmx kernel: firmware: requesting BCM2033-MD.hex
Nov 19 12:38:45 rjmx kernel: firmware: requesting BCM2033-FW.bin

but nothing seems to happen: an 'lsusb' still gives

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0a5c:2033 Broadcom Corp. BCM2033 Bluetooth

... which is the wrong ID for a device that's had its firmware
properly loaded. The firmware files themselves seem to be readable, and
in fact an 'ls -lut' gives me a "last access time" similar to the actual
time I tried plugging in the device.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

.....Ron Murray

--
Ron Murray ([email protected])
http://www.rjmx.net/~ron

Save energy: Drive a smaller shell.

2008-11-24 02:50:06

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Ron,

> I have a couple of boxes that I'm using with (admittedly fairly old)
> Tecon bluetooth devices using the BCM-2033 chipset, and I've been
> having
> trouble with them since you switched to the workqueue. For quite some
> time I applied the patch referred to in the message below, and that
> worked, but it wouldn't apply on kernel 2.6.27. Rather than fix it, I
> decided to try the kernel driver as-is, with patchy results. Sometimes
> it works, sometimes it doesn't. The symptoms are the same as below: my
> syslog says
>
> Nov 19 12:38:45 rjmx kernel: firmware: requesting BCM2033-MD.hex
> Nov 19 12:38:45 rjmx kernel: firmware: requesting BCM2033-FW.bin
>
> but nothing seems to happen: an 'lsusb' still gives
>
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0a5c:2033 Broadcom Corp. BCM2033 Bluetooth
>
> ... which is the wrong ID for a device that's had its firmware
> properly loaded. The firmware files themselves seem to be readable,
> and
> in fact an 'ls -lut' gives me a "last access time" similar to the
> actual
> time I tried plugging in the device.

I don't have the Tecon device and my BCM2033 is at home. So I can't
tell you what's going on here. Play with the drivers source code. It
is pretty simple.

Regards

Marcel