My sony BD remote (aka PS3 remote) requires a convoluted process to get it
working each and every time my computer boots. A description of the
process I must use is here:
In short, I must hold down shift+enter on the remote to pair the device,
kill some processes, and start some processes each time the computer
This apparently did not used to be necessary with some older
distributions. For example, this was not necessary under Ubuntu 8.04, but
is necessary under Ubuntu 8.10:
(page is down as I type so here's the google cache):
I am running 64-bit Gentoo, kernel 22.214.171.124. I've tried both the 2.25
userspace and the 4.21 userspace with no luck.
My questions are: Are you guys aware of this problem? Is there any known
fix, besides downgrading to an older distribution?
PS please CC me on any replies, I'm not subscribed to this list.
On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 14:23 -0500, Jim Faulkner wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Jim Faulkner wrote:
> > My sony BD remote (aka PS3 remote) requires a convoluted process to get it
> > working each and every time my computer boots.
> I just wanted to follow up on this. I have managed to get my BD remote
> permanently paired with my computer. I no longer need to to go through
> the process of pairing it each time the computer boots.
It doesn't need actual pairing, because there's no PIN code exchange.
Also, hidd doesn't know how to drive the device whatsoever.
Using bluez-gnome to pair the device using the wizard should just work.
See the archives for more discussion about that.
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Jim Faulkner wrote:
> My sony BD remote (aka PS3 remote) requires a convoluted process to get it
> working each and every time my computer boots.
I just wanted to follow up on this. I have managed to get my BD remote
permanently paired with my computer. I no longer need to to go through
the process of pairing it each time the computer boots.
The problem is, I'm not sure exactly how I got it working. I had resigned
myself to the fact that it wasn't going to automatically pair at boot
time, so I was playing around with "hidd --connect" and the cakemote.py
script, seeing which would work best to pair the device at each boot.
I tried running "hidd --connect (hardware address)" to get the remote
paired. It said that it successfully paired, and "hidd --show" showed the
BD remote device, however I wasn't able to get any output from the
bdremoted daemon when pressing keys on the remote.
So, I tried pairing it with cakemote.py, but got a "connection refused"
error, presumably because the bluetooth stack thought it was already
paired. I then ran "hidd --killall", then cakemote.py, ctrl-cing out once
the device was paired.
And since then, the remote is working fine without out any need to pair
again. I'm not sure exactly what I did... I have used cakemote.py to pair
the device many times before without this result. But its nice to have it