2008-05-28 21:14:02

by Julius

Subject: root over nfs, error -93

Hi,

im trying to get a client boot from my server via nfs. but it fails
with:

Root-NFS: Server returned error -93 while
mounting /nfs-exports/pxeclient

the client uses a vanilla 2.6.24.7 kernel with these settings:
<*> NFS file system support
[*] Provide NFSv3 client support
[*] Provide client support for the NFSv3 ACL protocol extension
[*] Root file system on NFS
[*] Support for rpcbind versions 3 & 4 (EXPERIMENTAL)

full config:
http://metalfan2.me.funpic.de/.config

kernel append line:
append root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.11.3:/nfs-exports/pxeclient ip=dhcp

the system successfully boots the kernel via syslinux and requests its
ip via dhcp

server:
rpcinfo -p localhost
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100024 1 udp 54039 status
100024 1 tcp 57693 status
100005 3 udp 48497 mountd
100005 3 tcp 34406 mountd
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
100021 1 udp 47061 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 47061 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 47061 nlockmgr
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
100021 1 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
100021 3 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
100021 4 tcp 54896 nlockmgr

nfs-utils-1.1.0

Any ideas whats wrong?

2008-05-29 09:58:24

by Julius

Subject: Re: root over nfs, error -93

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 17:04 -0700, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 23:17 +0200, Julius wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > im trying to get a client boot from my server via nfs. but it fails
> > with:
> >
> > Root-NFS: Server returned error -93 while
> > mounting /nfs-exports/pxeclient
> >
> > the client uses a vanilla 2.6.24.7 kernel with these settings:
> > <*> NFS file system support
> > [*] Provide NFSv3 client support
> > [*] Provide client support for the NFSv3 ACL protocol extension
> > [*] Root file system on NFS
> > [*] Support for rpcbind versions 3 & 4 (EXPERIMENTAL)
> >

> > full config:
> > http://metalfan2.me.funpic.de/.config
> >

> > kernel append line:
> > append root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.11.3:/nfs-exports/pxeclient ip=dhcp
> >

> > the system successfully boots the kernel via syslinux and requests its
> > ip via dhcp
> >

> > server:
> > rpcinfo -p localhost
> > program vers proto port
> > 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> > 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> > 100024 1 udp 54039 status
> > 100024 1 tcp 57693 status
> > 100005 3 udp 48497 mountd
> > 100005 3 tcp 34406 mountd
> > 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> > 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> > 100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
> > 100021 1 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> > 100021 3 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> > 100021 4 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> > 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> > 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
> > 100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
> > 100021 1 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
> > 100021 3 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
> > 100021 4 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
> >
> > nfs-utils-1.1.0
> >

> > Any ideas whats wrong?
>
> I believe that the default is to try mounting NFSv2, unless you
> explicitly add the 'v3' option. Try something like
>
> append root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.11.3:/nfs-exports/pxeclient,v3 ip=dhcp
>

> Cheers
> Trond

Okay, ive used the append line above and now it mounts the root
filesystem. But it takes ages, looks like the requests time out.

Theres no firewall between the server/client.

Heres a tshark capture(330Kbyte) from power on to mount root and some of
the following timeouts:
http://metalfan2.me.funpic.de/nfsd.capture2
ive used the filter !tftp and saved it

Julius

2008-05-28 21:31:18

by david m. richter

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Julius wrote:

> Hi,
>

> im trying to get a client boot from my server via nfs. but it fails
> with:
>
> Root-NFS: Server returned error -93 while
> mounting /nfs-exports/pxeclient

well, some grepping in /usr/include/ came up with:

./asm-generic/errno.h:#define EPROTONOSUPPORT 93 /* Protocol not supported */

what's the server setup in this picture? and is that negative
error value getting propagated into userland, or is that just from a
kernel log?

.

> the client uses a vanilla 2.6.24.7 kernel with these settings:
> <*> NFS file system support
> [*] Provide NFSv3 client support
> [*] Provide client support for the NFSv3 ACL protocol extension
> [*] Root file system on NFS
> [*] Support for rpcbind versions 3 & 4 (EXPERIMENTAL)
>

> full config:
> http://metalfan2.me.funpic.de/.config
>

> kernel append line:
> append root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.11.3:/nfs-exports/pxeclient ip=dhcp
>

> the system successfully boots the kernel via syslinux and requests its
> ip via dhcp
>

> server:
> rpcinfo -p localhost
> program vers proto port
> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> 100024 1 udp 54039 status
> 100024 1 tcp 57693 status
> 100005 3 udp 48497 mountd
> 100005 3 tcp 34406 mountd
> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
>
> nfs-utils-1.1.0
>

> Any ideas whats wrong?

by Julius

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 17:31 -0400, david m. richter wrote:

> well, some grepping in /usr/include/ came up with:
>
> ./asm-generic/errno.h:#define EPROTONOSUPPORT 93 /* Protocol
not supported */

> what's the server setup in this picture? and is that negative
> error value getting propagated into userland, or is that just from a
> kernel log?

The system doesnt start at all, it stops just before the root fs gets
mounted. before init runs.

what do you mean by server setup?

Julius

2008-05-28 22:24:04

by Chuck Lever III

Julius wrote:
> Hi,
>

> im trying to get a client boot from my server via nfs. but it fails
> with:
>
> Root-NFS: Server returned error -93 while
> mounting /nfs-exports/pxeclient

Error 93 is EPROTONOSUPPORT. Is there a firewall between client and
server? tcpwrappers on either end? Are you using a motherboard NIC
that silently hijacks a reserved UDP port?

Try capturing a network trace with "tcpdump -s0 -w /tmp/dump" on your
server while your client boots. Take a look at it with wireshark or
tethereal.

> the client uses a vanilla 2.6.24.7 kernel with these settings:
> <*> NFS file system support
> [*] Provide NFSv3 client support
> [*] Provide client support for the NFSv3 ACL protocol extension
> [*] Root file system on NFS
> [*] Support for rpcbind versions 3 & 4 (EXPERIMENTAL)
>

> full config:
> http://metalfan2.me.funpic.de/.config
>

> kernel append line:
> append root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.11.3:/nfs-exports/pxeclient ip=dhcp
>

> the system successfully boots the kernel via syslinux and requests its
> ip via dhcp
>

> server:
> rpcinfo -p localhost
> program vers proto port
> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> 100024 1 udp 54039 status
> 100024 1 tcp 57693 status
> 100005 3 udp 48497 mountd
> 100005 3 tcp 34406 mountd
> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
>
> nfs-utils-1.1.0
>

> Any ideas whats wrong?

chuck_lever.vcf (259.00 B)

2008-05-29 00:05:01

by Trond Myklebust

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 23:17 +0200, Julius wrote:
> Hi,
>

> im trying to get a client boot from my server via nfs. but it fails
> with:
>
> Root-NFS: Server returned error -93 while
> mounting /nfs-exports/pxeclient
>
> the client uses a vanilla 2.6.24.7 kernel with these settings:
> <*> NFS file system support
> [*] Provide NFSv3 client support
> [*] Provide client support for the NFSv3 ACL protocol extension
> [*] Root file system on NFS
> [*] Support for rpcbind versions 3 & 4 (EXPERIMENTAL)
>

> full config:
> http://metalfan2.me.funpic.de/.config
>

> kernel append line:
> append root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.11.3:/nfs-exports/pxeclient ip=dhcp
>

> the system successfully boots the kernel via syslinux and requests its
> ip via dhcp
>

> server:
> rpcinfo -p localhost
> program vers proto port
> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> 100024 1 udp 54039 status
> 100024 1 tcp 57693 status
> 100005 3 udp 48497 mountd
> 100005 3 tcp 34406 mountd
> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
>
> nfs-utils-1.1.0
>

> Any ideas whats wrong?

I believe that the default is to try mounting NFSv2, unless you
explicitly add the 'v3' option. Try something like

append root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.11.3:/nfs-exports/pxeclient,v3 ip=dhcp

Cheers
Trond

2008-06-01 08:18:58

by Julius

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 17:04 -0700, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 23:17 +0200, Julius wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > im trying to get a client boot from my server via nfs. but it fails
> > with:
> >
> > Root-NFS: Server returned error -93 while
> > mounting /nfs-exports/pxeclient
> >
> > the client uses a vanilla 2.6.24.7 kernel with these settings:
> > <*> NFS file system support
> > [*] Provide NFSv3 client support
> > [*] Provide client support for the NFSv3 ACL protocol extension
> > [*] Root file system on NFS
> > [*] Support for rpcbind versions 3 & 4 (EXPERIMENTAL)
> >

> > full config:
> > http://metalfan2.me.funpic.de/.config
> >

> > kernel append line:
> > append root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.11.3:/nfs-exports/pxeclient ip=dhcp
> >

> > the system successfully boots the kernel via syslinux and requests its
> > ip via dhcp
> >

> > server:
> > rpcinfo -p localhost
> > program vers proto port
> > 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> > 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> > 100024 1 udp 54039 status
> > 100024 1 tcp 57693 status
> > 100005 3 udp 48497 mountd
> > 100005 3 tcp 34406 mountd
> > 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> > 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> > 100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
> > 100021 1 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> > 100021 3 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> > 100021 4 udp 47061 nlockmgr
> > 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> > 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
> > 100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
> > 100021 1 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
> > 100021 3 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
> > 100021 4 tcp 54896 nlockmgr
> >
> > nfs-utils-1.1.0
> >

> > Any ideas whats wrong?
>
> I believe that the default is to try mounting NFSv2, unless you
> explicitly add the 'v3' option. Try something like
>
> append root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.11.3:/nfs-exports/pxeclient,v3 ip=dhcp
>

> Cheers
> Trond

Got it running, finally. Thx to all, saved me a lot of trouble.
Ive changed the machine that serves the nfs-root and some other small
adjustments.
Turotrial will be available here:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Diskless_network_boot_NFS_root